1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Flair Ups: pressure

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by Cactusflower, May 20, 2023.

Tags:
  1. Cactusflower

Cactusflower Beloved Grand Eagle

Today I had some sensations that brought up the panicky fears.
    When this happens it is my opportunity do do a little more tms “work” gain some insights. Like most people “think psychological” is usually my 2nd go to.
    At first, I react with the old patterns of thought. It takes a lot of consistent work to change these. For me, I try to accept that I reacted, then I begin to make conscious choice ( to respond). Trying to stifle fear doesn’t work but for me. Thinking psychological can (and journalling) but there was a missing piece.
    I often chose to do a search here and bring up some old tms gold nuggets from the past during these times.
    Today I dug this one up from Alan Gordon:

“Pressure, in my experience, is one of the primary causes of TMS pain. And it's so sneaky. It could seem like you're doing everything right, but if your actions are fused with a sense of pressure, you're not really free.

Later, when the pain would arise, I gently checked in to see if I knew what I was feeling (usually, I didn't) and said to myself, "Eh, it'll pass" and went back to what I was doing. It was so nice not to need to get rid of the pain! Eventually it faded because I wasn't fueling it with pressure and fear.

The Buddha was a spiritual leader, but he was also the first psychologist. Nonresistance, sitting with what is, be it rage, sadness, or even physical pain, without needing it to be something different, is the ultimate form of psychological health.”

That subtle undercurrent of self pressure was adding to the psychological. Even after a morning meditation, even after a slow gentle morning. I WANT to accomplish some things today.

Things I liked that Alan wrote: if nothing psychological comes up, don’t worry about it!
    If you are doing “all the things” - but still not feeling “progress” look at the emphasis you put on progress. The pressure, the subtlety you might be doing it with.

TG957, westb, Ellen and 2 others like this.