1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with JanAtheCPA as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

First Week!!

Discussion in 'Alan Gordon TMS Recovery Program' started by Mrs.Hopeful85, Aug 12, 2013.

1. Mrs.Hopeful85

Mrs.Hopeful85 New Member

Hello everyone,

I am new to the forum and also very new to the TMS diagnosis. I feel very grateful and hopeful that this is where I will find relief. As most of you all probably know and have experienced, I have been/done everything up to this point to get pain relief and tried to figure out what is wrong with my back (I have had several x-rays, MRI's, physical therapy, massage, anti-inflammatory medication, blah, blah, blah) and you as all have experienced, nothing works at actually getting rid of the pain permantly. I wholeheartedly beleive in the TMS as my diagnosis for what is going on with me because the pain did appear when I had been dealing with many emotional situations in my life (death of parent, change of careers, change of living situations, and other family issues). I am very hopeful for the future and I would love to chat more with anyone that may have something to add.

2. JanAtheCPA

JanAtheCPA Beloved Grand Eagle

Welcome, Mrs. H - and that's a great name, which I "hope" you'll want to change as you recover - (you can actually do that, without losing your posts :^)

It sounds like you've come to the right place, and the "blah blah blah" tells me you've clearly got the concept - I love that, in fact, because you already understand that all that is in the past, it's no longer relevant, and everything you do from now on is on a completely different path.

I discovered Dr. Sarno and TMS just one year and 11 months ago, I joined this community a couple of weeks later, and doing so turned my life around. It's not always easy, and life does have a tendency to get in the way, so there are times I'm tempted to call it a struggle - but instead I encourage myself to call it a journey, and I know that I'm never going back to the downhill slide I was on two years ago. And I have this fantastic group of people to thank, for being here on the same journey.

Feel free to read my profile story - at the end I've posted some of my favorite resources, from this forum, our wiki, books and authors, and other sites.

Again, welcome, keep posting and keep us posted!

Jan

3. Mrs.Hopeful85

Mrs.Hopeful85 New Member

Hello Jan!! Thank you for the kind and encouraging words! ! I read your story and I love the fact that you get even close to 90% improvement:) those are results I look forward to. I am so thankful to have found this community and look forward to what the future holds. All of your inspirational stories are so great to read and I hope to write one of them since day. Take care.

JanAtheCPA likes this.
  4. Forest

Forest Beloved Grand Eagle

Welcome to the Peer Network!

Going through Alan's Recovery Program is a great first step. It will give you a terrific understanding of TMS and what it takes to recover. Feel free to let us know what you think of each section and how it relates to your own experience. As Jan mentioned, we have a great community here and if you have any questions at all please do not hesitate to ask.

5. Eric "Herbie" Watson

Eric "Herbie" Watson Beloved Grand Eagle

Id love to hear your journey.
    let us know how you do as you study new arts
    and learn new things.
    Its powerful to tell others your journey so they too
    can heal.
    I liked the part you added together , The pain at the times of stress.

Your doing great, were waiting.

Mrs.Hopeful85 likes this.
  6. Mrs.Hopeful85

Mrs.Hopeful85 New Member

Thank you everyone! I am just now reading "The Great Pain Deception" by Steve Ozanich...Wow what an amazing book! I love this book because of the extreme detail Mr. Ozanich goes into when talking about his own experience with TMS. It has given me more hope than anything thus far. This is how I am doing today since discovering the wonderful world of TMS:

-Completely stopped taking all the medications that I was taking for the pain (realize now how much it actually did NOTHING for the pain).
    -Completely stopped doing the "stretching" exercises that I had been buying into for so long that had led me to think my pain was coming from tight/eneven muscles (Pain has actually improved since stopping these).
    -Threw away all the silly pain creams (I have to admit that not smelling like an 80 year man is quite nice).
    -Put away the heat/ice packs
    -Trying to sit, sleep and be as normal as possible because their is NOTHING wrong with my back :)
    -The pain does move around! I know have a strange pain in my armpit, which I have never had, but it is nothing but the TMS looking for attention.
    -Still have pain in my low back and butt, sometimes feet, and sometimes knee, but I am trying to stay focused on other things and realizing this is a process and it will take time, but my faith is very strong in this process and I know that it will bring comfort sooner or later.

My next step is going back to the gym....This is very scary for me because for so long this is the place that I correlate to my pain and thought what had caused it and each time I tried to go back to the gym or be physical at all, my pain was made worse, but I am slowly learning and trying to grasp that this is NOT where it started, Iwas just able to put blame on something to make me feel better and provide proof that it was physical. If Steve Ozanich can back full force into being physical so can I and I am now becoming more comfortable with this next step.

Eric "Herbie" Watson likes this.
  7. Eric "Herbie" Watson

Its all good- Stay course- were here for you
    Sounds like you got it, if you slip-
    let us know- we'll guide you threw ok.
    sounds like if your going to the gym

Just make sure to start back slow,
    If you start back with like an hour long workout-
    It could stop your forward movement.
    Less you know when your body is saying stop.
    That's key to workout recovery ok.

Come to think of it. We need to start back at anything slowly
    like im doing 10 minutes in starting recovery now.

If ya went into a workout program a little to fast
    let me know if you still on it, ya know the kind that has no
    effect on whether the physical pain will cease,
    only the emotional thoughts will heal the physical.

These workouts can be all spiritual and physical and that's a
    powerhouse in our unity of mind body sprit.

Just the endorphin relief which will calm the focus aspect.

We workout to build our real life weak lagging muscles up.
    This will help little to distinguish pain relief-
    from blood flow to the area that is automatically bound.
    although no blood will reach the area the mind puts a stronghold on.
    Ya know those things your brain thinks about and you
    cant control cause its your personality.

That kind of personality trait has to have a total lifestyle change.

God bless

8. Forest

Forest Beloved Grand Eagle

Realizing how all of the medications and treatments I did never really worked really helped me accept the diagnosis. Like you I tried so many different things, but none of them worked. All they really did was make me feel like I was broken. Stopping all of the physical therapy was very empowering to me, and was the first step in gaining my life back.

Becoming physically active again can always be scary, especially if you have not done it for awhile. Since you correlate the gym with the cause of your pain, you may want to watch out for any conditioned responses from exercising. If you feel an increase of your symptoms, remind yourself of all the reasons you have TMS. If you stay in the moment and reduce the amount of fear you have, then any conditioned response will only last momentarily.

9. Mrs.Hopeful85

Mrs.Hopeful85 New Member

Forest - The part about the gym will be very helpful to me I think. Thank you!!!! I will definitely remember this tip :)

10. G.R.

G.R. Well known member

Sounds like you are doing well. You have really taken a stand that it is psychological by eliminating all the items you mentioned on your
    list. That will surely send a very strong message to your subconscious. The fact that the pain moved around is a classical symptom of TMS.

I want to encourage you to go to the gym. My first time back to gym; I had so much pain even though I did not do much. Then each time
    I went I found pieces of equipment that I felt comfortable using. Even if I have pain afterwards, I keeping telling myself this will pass
    because there is nothing physically wrong with me. And each time the symptoms go.

Be encouraged; your doing so well.
    G.R.

11. North Star

North Star Beloved Grand Eagle

Mrs. H, I too am new here! And I can totally relate to what you're talking about. I just read the book last week and have been off and running. I tossed my orthotics and heel lifts and stuffed my PT mementos far away. And like you, I've stopped all the stretching routines. Part of my frustration has been my rigorous compliance to everything....and it did SQUAT!

Over this past year especially, I've reduced so many of the exercises that I genuinely enjoy- Zumba, weight training, etc... Well, I'm going back. I know I'll be having more than one talk with the ole noggin. And like you, my pain has been moving around. (Hello, brain, you can knock off the signals to my wrist now.)

Looking forward to journeying with you!

12. Eric "Herbie" Watson

MontanaMom- I've reduced so many of the exercises that I genuinely enjoy- Zumba, weight training, etc... Well, I'm going back

Eric)- I love this , Pure Determination.
    I noticed Mrs. Hopeful85 has it too, and GR thanks.
    Jan and forest, always full of wise advice.

It- ( Pure Determination)- will help you on your journey powerfully guys.
    Remember if you have a bad day, think this will pass as G.R. states above.

It will and while you might feel down - hold your head up, now you know the truth.
    I love these power stories, stay fearless, it will heal you
    God Bless.

13. North Star

North Star Beloved Grand Eagle

Thanks so much, Herbie. I remember a little tidbit from Julia Cameron, author of "The Artist's Way". She said to think of thoughts as "cloud thoughts" that will be floating by. So, when my mind is trying to pull me down, I literally look up at the clouds and remind myself, the negative thoughts will pass.

Eric "Herbie" Watson likes this.
  14. hecate105

hecate105 Beloved Grand Eagle

Talking of medication and blah, blah, blah - I keep opening drawers and finding tubes of linament and bottles of painkillers - EVERYWHERE! It is ridiculous how many of these items are lurking around my home. Now I know it is TMS and am well on the way to recovery - I assume I will be super-rich in the future - now I need not buy anymore.... Also when I go on holiday I will only need a small bag - not a suitcase!