1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Derek S. Fibromyalgia

Discussion in 'Ask a TMS Therapist' started by Guest, Oct 3, 2014.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

This question was submitted via our Ask a TMS Therapist program. To submit your question, click here.

Question
    Hi Doctor:

I've been diagnosed with Fibromyalgia. Does fallen arches cause pain in the knees and upper back? Treatment for TMS states to stop all physical therapies and exercise. Dare I say, continue the exercise and massage but with a time limit of 30 minutes total. Relief of no relief. I would feel better and stronger with exercise and not just journaling and sitting. I feel the reason for stopping the treatments is to stop the obsessive thoughts that go with exercise. But if I proceed to exercise with a thought that I would like for that body part to become stronger as opposed to I would like that body part to be not in pain. Would that thought be okay to treat the body part with the appropriate exercise and exercise?

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 5, 2014
  2. Derek Sapico MFT

Derek Sapico MFT TMS Therapist

Answer
    Thanks for your question!

The first thing that I would like to address is Fibromyalgia. I can confidently tell you that Fibromyalgia is TMS. If you have a diagnosis of FM, it is not fallen arches or any other easily identifiable structural issue that is creating discomfort; it is your brain amplifying pain signals via learned neural pathways that causes the very real pain symptoms. The good news is that this pattern can be broken and you can significantly decrease or eliminate these symptoms through cognitive-behavioral and psycho-emotional work.

The notion that you can't exercise or get a massage when recovering from TMS is patently false. You absolutely should exercise, simply because it's healthy for you both physically and psychologically. Massages feel good and can be nice and relaxing so do not deprive yourself of them because you have TMS. When exercising or getting a massage, work on solidifying your belief in your capacity to get out of pain regardless of the things that you are doing (or having done to you) physically.

Honestly explore your belief system around your symptoms and your physical self-care regimen to be sure that you are not still feeding into the narrative that your exercise/massage is compensating for some structural deficiency. Don't focus on strengthening certain body parts because this implies that those parts of your body are in some way defective and need special attention.

I would encourage you to address the fear and preoccupation that your symptoms generate within your mind. Your thoughts will want to drift back into the fearful realm of "something is wrong with me," so it is important to care for that part of yourself by soothing it and creating safety.

Lastly, address the emotional issues that could be underlying the symptoms. Utilize the wonderful resources that can be found here on the TMS Wiki and if you get stuck, work with a TMS therapist who can assist you in your recovery.

Keep it up. You will get there!

-Derek

Any advice or information provided here does not and is not intended to be and should not be taken to constitute specific professional or psychological advice given to any group or individual. This general advice is provided with the guidance that any person who believes that they may be suffering from any medical, psychological, or mindbody condition should seek professional advice from a qualified, registered/licensed physician and/or psychotherapist who has the opportunity to meet with the patient, take a history, possibly examine the patient, review medical and/or mental health records, and provide specific advice and/or treatment based on their experience diagnosing and treating that condition or range of conditions. No general advice provided here should be taken to replace or in any way contradict advice provided by a qualified, registered/licensed physician and/or psychotherapist who has the opportunity to meet with the patient, take a history, possibly examine the patient, review medical and/or mental health records, and provide specific advice and/or treatment based on their experience diagnosing and treating that condition or range of conditions.

The general advice and information provided in this format is for informational purposes only and cannot serve as a way to screen for, identify, or diagnose depression, anxiety, or other psychological conditions. If you feel you may be suffering from any of these conditions please contact a licensed mental health practitioner for an in-person consultation.

Questions may be edited for brevity and/or readability.

3. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Derek's advice is right on! Exercise and massage are both great aids in TMS healing.

If you can't afford to pay for a massage, you can do it yourself.
    There are good web sites if you google for them about self-massage.

I find that massaging my head is very relaxing. I do it while deep breathing...
    Inhale to the count of 4 through the nose, hold for 7, exhale through the mouth to 8 saying "whoosh." It woiks!

danielle and North Star like this.
  4. BruceMC

BruceMC Beloved Grand Eagle

"Honestly explore your belief system around your symptoms and your physical self-care regimen to be sure that you are not still feeding into the narrative that your exercise/massage is compensating for some structural deficiency."

Derek, this where you hit the nail squarely on its head. This is an insidious habit of mind I notice playing as an unconscious subtext behind my exercise regimes, always ready to surface and draw me back into TMS symptoms. You have to be aware of just how tricky your unconscious mind is!

North Star and Derek Sapico MFT like this.
  5. North Star

North Star Beloved Grand Eagle

Thanks for your wisdom, Derek. It is so important to reject the bombardment of structural excuses. This morning in yoga class, the instructor admonished everyone the important of making sure your foot are placed properly because if it is not done properly it will affect your knees. And your hips. And holy smokes…the whole world is going to hell in a hand basket. (Okay, slight exaggeration.)

I smiled to myself and rejected his well meaning admonition. Though I do watch my form because it really is the best way to get a thorough stretch of a particular muscle. ;)

TG957, giantsfan, Fabi and 1 other person like this.
  6. Fabi

Fabi Well known member

NorthStar, you made me laugh!

North Star likes this.