1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Steve2 as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Fibromyalgia cure found? What do you think of this?

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by Leslie735, May 1, 2017.

1. Leslie735

Leslie735 Well known member

I was scrolling facebook today when a friend posted a "breaking news" aritcle that they have found the source of pain for Fibromyalgia patients. My Aunt suffers from it and up until I read this article, I really believe hers is TMS related from repressed emotions from her childhood. But after reading this article, I admit I have my doubts. Just wanted some fellow TMSers thoughts....

http://fibromyalgiaawareness.info/2017/04/18/fibromyalgia-mystery-finally-solved-researchers-find-main-source-of-pain-in-blood-vessels/ (Fibromyalgia Mystery Finally Solved! Researchers Find Main Source of Pain in Blood Vessels)

2. tgirl

tgirl Well known member

I'm just wondering about the source, was this a peer reviewed article? I guess I'm not saying this article is true or untrue, it's just there are a lot of unsubstantiated claims in the news.

Leslie735 likes this.
  3. Leslie735

I am not sure, my friend that posted it, is an ICU nurse, not that means anything really.

4. Leslie735

I tried following the sources at the bottom and have seen this article was also posted back in 2013 but couldn't figure out if it was legit or not.

5. tgirl

tgirl Well known member

Hmmm, I wonder why it hasn't hit the news in a bigger way if this was discovered four years ago? All this stuff is a bit of a mystery to me.

6. Leslie735

That is what I'm wondering, questioning if its legit. If it is legit, it makes me question TMS and I don't want that.

7. tgirl

tgirl Well known member

Agreed, I don't want that either. I've had weird nerve ending pain in both of my legs for quite awhile and the medical testing I've had has been extensive to say the least. I've been told I'm healthy and what I'm experiencing is anxiety/stress related.

Maybe another person will chime in on this topic.

8. Ellen

Ellen Beloved Grand Eagle

I don't think this is based on legitimate research as there are no original sources for the research posted anywhere that I can find. I had fibromyalgia for 20 years and recovered after treating it as TMS, so I am confidant that the cause is in the mind. Many others have recovered treating it as TMS. During my 20 years with fibromyalgia there were occasionally similar "news stories" that would pop up about finding the source and treatments. I tried them all and got no relief beyond a slight placebo effect. Treating it as TMS works and the recovery lasts, though I do have an occasional brief relapse from time to time. It helps to remind me just how horrible and disabling the pain from fibromyalgia is. My heart goes out to those still suffering and hoping to find a medical/structural cure.

Leslie735 likes this.
  9. Ellen

Another thought is that even if this is legitimate research, it could be a case of finding a correlation but not causation. The changes that the unconscious makes to the body that creates pain could result in changes to the blood vessels, but the cause is still psychological issues that originate in the mind.

10. Un0wut2du

Un0wut2du Peer Supporter

As an engineer let me first begin to shut this down from a nerdy tech standpoint. The domain owner is 'hidden' and registered to some cheap name provider out of Panama. Red flag #1. The 'breaking news' image is nothing more then just that, an image. It leads to NO news story. The links at the bottom siting the source as "yahoo news" are both bogus. This looks like nothing more the the chain emails my dad would send me in the '90's "just in case." Way, way too many red flags. Plus...Facebook....which is the new chain letter distribution center. Lastly, google the authors name - nothing. All junk. This is a 'click' driven site. Someone is getting paid.

Who are these researchers? They made a monumental discovery and dont wont recognition?

From a content stand point:

Sarno credited fibromyalgia long ago to TMS. He saw results with his patients. The author loses me immediately by citing that it was long thought to be "conjured in the patients imagination..." Clearly someone who has no concept of the reality of TMS pain. The description of the nerve endings in the patients hand sound EXACTLY like what Sarno has always said about nerve endings and other tissue being oxygen deprived. They site "found in the blood vessels." Sound like they have RE-discovered TMS. Yet they have no solution. I will stick to what we already know and the people who have produced actual results.

Last edited: May 1, 2017
    MWsunin12, Ftaghn!, Leslie735 and 3 others like this.
  11. Un0wut2du

Un0wut2du Peer Supporter

Boy, I overlooked one of the biggest red flags seen - "the researchers.." What researchers, from where? What university hospital or medical center? Junk Facebook chain post for clicks.

Leslie735 and tgirl like this.
  12. tgirl

tgirl Well known member

Thanks for your post UnOwut2du. What you've said makes sense....

13. Leslie735

Thank you so much Un0wut2du, I was hoping someone would chime in and post the things you said. I tried doing some research myself but wasn't sure what I was looking at. I really appreciate you "shutting it down." My brain has been trying to doubt TMS the last couple of days and this wasn't helping me, you have help restore it for me. Thank you!

14. Leslie735

Thank you your reply! I am so glad to hear personal story of someone who beat firbo with TMS work. I don't have it myself, but my Aunt suffers from it badly. She had to quit her job because of it. I really believe hers is from childhood trama. This just confirms it for me.

15. Un0wut2du

Un0wut2du Peer Supporter

I hear you on the struggle. I sit here with actual success on many pains and then place doubt in my own head on my knee. I too need reinforcements from this board.

MWsunin12 and Leslie735 like this.
  16. EileenS

EileenS Well known member

Excellent breakdown of why the article is bogus. Another reason is, the number of people they used in the study. A real study would never have only one person in the control group.

MWsunin12 and Leslie735 like this.
  17. Ellen

I wrote a success story that is on my profile page and the success stories sub-forum if you'd like to share it with your friend. There is hope.

Leslie735 likes this.
  18. Un0wut2du

Un0wut2du Peer Supporter

Right. They just "say things."

Boston Redsox likes this.
  19. mdh157

mdh157 Well known member

Interesting read but where's my sure for twitching Leslie? Still waiting...............bangheada

:)