1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Feeling jittery/anxious upon waking up - some input would be appreciated

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by tgirl, Nov 30, 2022.

1. tgirl

tgirl Well known member

Almost every morning just as I wake up I feel a jittery anxious feeling in my chest, so I have to get out of bed pretty quickly. I envy the people who can lounge comfortably in bed for awhile. I feel like I will explode, and this feeling can go away quickly or can last quite awhile; it varies. I’ve had this for quite awhile and wonder if it might be associated with a rise in cortisol levels, menopause… who knows? I’ve mentioned it to my doctor a few times and he just gives me a blank stare. He says my blood work is all normal, including blood sugar etc. I also have insomnia, not every night, but frequently enough.

I would love to hear how people resolved this, and what they feel caused this feeling. Thank you!

Last edited: Nov 30, 2022
  2. JanAtheCPA

JanAtheCPA Beloved Grand Eagle

Hey, @tgirl. Feels like good old anxiety to me. I strongly recommend a mindful breathing practice, which I use all the time for bouts of anxiety, insomnia, and even heartburn. When I remember to employ deep breathing if I wake in the middle of the night with my mind racing, I'm asleep before I know it. And I often do it in the morning, while still lying in bed, before facing the day.

It's a technique that is too easy to dismiss, but in fact powerfully effective, and grounded in physiology.

It might not turn you into a lounger, mind you, but it will help you start your day with more equanimity - if you will allow that.

tgirl likes this.
  3. tgirl

tgirl Well known member

Thanks Jan. Just to make sure I’m doing it right, should I just google mindful breathing?

4. JanAtheCPA

tgirl likes this.
  5. JanAtheCPA

Hah, I just revisited that thread - lots of great responses with additional resources from other forum folks!

tgirl likes this.
  6. tgirl

tgirl Well known member

I looked at it as well. There are a number of posts I will look at today. Thanks Jan.

JanAtheCPA likes this.
  7. EricG

EricG Newcomer

Here are some exercises I use

https://www.inc.com/jessica-stillma...d-breathing-technique-psychological-sigh.html

Also, box breathing, you can Google it and YouTube has some follow along videos

4-7-8 breathing. Again Google will have many sites on this.

Also, just sit and breathe in through the nose if possible for 5 breaths and out through the nose for 5 breaths. Just sit and focus on the breath for about 5 minutes.

JanAtheCPA and tgirl like this.
  8. tgirl

tgirl Well known member

Thank you Eric.

9. Cactusflower

Cactusflower Beloved Grand Eagle

Claire Weeks book mentions am anxiety. She suggests getting up and not laying about because not engaging in life activities can lead to time we can engage in rumination and worry. Claire suggests getting up and going for a walk.
    Question. Who’s to say that loungers are relaxing? Perhaps they are laying there in anxiety?

Xara, map76, tgirl and 1 other person like this.
  10. Xara

Xara Peer Supporter

I had two friends lying at the bed for hours going more and more anxious and sad in the morning. It is not what someone needs.
    Besides, it is so common to get up anxious when you have much stuff to accomplish, even more when you don't like it! So, get up and accomplish the liked ones ( or the absolutely must) and cancel the rest :):):):)

tgirl likes this.