1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Day 25 Feeling a bit disappointed

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by Jill Pensom, Apr 6, 2013.

1. Jill Pensom

Jill Pensom New Member

Hello there,

I've followed the structured program every day and I must admit I feel a little disappointed in that I thought my pain would have gone by now.

Drawing on the positives though I've been doing lots of exercise (and am not a bit scared of doing this), I'm less conscious about posture etc, have no pain on sleeping and am carrying my little boy without fear.

However, I still have pain in my legs when I'm still. I don't notice the nervy sensations at all when physically moving about but as soon as I stop to sit/stand it kicks in immediately. Funnily enough the pain decreases when I meditate. I'm wondering if its because deep down I feel like something needs to click in my brain that my pain is 100 % TMS. I'm still at about 90% and I'm not sure how to go about changing this. I also realise I have totally conditioned my brain to expect pain when doing certain things especially cooking and standing still.

Any advice on how to break these thought patterns further would be great.

I think this site is brilliant by the way.

Best,
    Jill

2. Stella

Stella Well known member

Gosh Jill, you are making awesome progress. You are exercising without pain and you have no emotional fear about exercising...wow. You are sleeping without pain....wow. Your meditation reduces the pain....wow. I am totally impressed.

Everybody makes progress in their own time. You just have to keep working the program. What are your thoughts when your pain increases when standing or sitting? I reread The Divided Mind which continued reinforcement of the TMS diagnoses.

You are on your way. Stella

JanAtheCPA likes this.
  3. Sheree

Sheree Well known member

Hi Jill
    I can relate to what you are saying. I have no magic answer for you, but it does seem that it can take a long time for some people to heal. I have read many times on this site that the whole process can be very up and down. I also think it is important NOT to worry about the time it takes and try to remain calm (I know - a lot easier to say than do) One thing I am doing at the moment is saying aloud each day postive affirmations such as my back is healthy and strong. The book "What you say when you talk to yourself" by Dr Shad Helmstetter helped me with this. Also I think you should take heart that you have made SOME progress. All those little steps over time all add up - good luck.

JanAtheCPA likes this.
  4. Jill Pensom

Jill Pensom New Member

Hello Sheree and Stella,
    Thanks for your advice. Stella- when my pain increases when sitting/standing I start to get anxious and find it hard to block out the negative thoughts. I think I need to work harder on the positive affirmations and will reread the divided mind. I'm also 13 weeks pregnant and think I am probably more anxious than normal!
    Thanks again
    Jill