1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Day 26 fear is good, whaWhaaWHAAAT??!?!?

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by vandy1313, Nov 18, 2014.

1. vandy1313

vandy1313 New Member

So I believe Im in the fear-zone of this journey. Dr. Schubiner says, "It is a good sign when this occurs, because the emotions are closer to the source of the pain and this means that we have peeled off a layer within our minds and therefore we are getting closer to full healing." Im in a constant battle with UV (Unconscious Vandy) from the second my eyes open in the morning, until they close again at night. The pain at times encompasses much of my upper body. Perhaps its the cold I had with all the coughing that has increased my pain, but then I think TMS is using that for a way to be stealth about keeping my mind occupied. I hope he is right about this because the pain is such a constant, that the fear of it never letting up is always lurking in my head. However, I am confident the tools in the SEP that I have/am learning will be triumphant over UV and the DarkSide!

Nevertheless, I had some questions:

When the pain gets to a certain point, I take some ibuprofen, 1000mg each time. I have to do this twice a day lately....which is weened down from the 3x's per day I did in the past. When I take them I tell my self its a placebo, but it seems to help the pain go away either way. Perhaps taking them is psychosomatic, but it helps. Many times I journal and meditate etc as well when the pain is heavy. I like to think that is what "really" helps ease the pain. But perhaps its a combo of both for now??

My question is, is it OK to take meds knowing its a temporary "mask" to the root cause of the pain? My thought is, if it helps make the pain go away, I can focus on the emotional piece and eventually I will ween the need off. And, I can walk fairly normal rather than hobble around. Or, is it that by taking these meds I am feeding the TMS and it is working against me, prolonging my recovery?

Next question; When people ask why I am limping, is it best to tell them I have TMS and go though that whole explanation? Or should I just say it was a golf injury and move on? Im unsure if by just saying it was a physical condition....even in small talk, helps to strengthen the TMS hold on me. Which again, works against me.

2. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi, Vandy. Dr. Sarno says it's okay to take medication if the pain is bad, but you're doing it right by considering it just a placebo.
    The real way to stop the pain is through TMS healing techniques such as the SEP suggests.

I think it's best to tell people you limp because of a minor sprained ankle or golf injury.
    No sense putting yourself through the stress of trying to explain it's TMS.