1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Steve2 as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Extremely Stiff Muscles

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by Andre, Aug 1, 2012.

1. Andre

Andre New Member

Hi, my question in short is whether really stiff muscles and often painful muscles can be a TMS symptom variant? I rarely see the stiff muscles mentioned as a main symptom.

When I was 16 and again at 21 I had short (3-4 weeks) but very intense muscle stiffness with severe pain. Then at 27 after some extremely stressful years my muscles tensed up (literally overnight) and for 10 years I have not been able to get them to relax. This was accompanied by extreme pain for many years which only begun to settle after I discovered Dr. Sarno's work around 5 years ago. I now have to withdraw from the clonazepam I was prescribed and my muscles are tensing up and I am quite fearful (my muscles never relaxed on clonazepam but the pain settled). I undertook psychotherapy for a number of years however the change was minimal. I have had every test under the sun (all normal) and I seem to switch between feeling anxious/apprehensive to muscle pain. Interestingly, if a greater stress enters my life the attention given to the physical symptoms reduces. Also, I never manage to do the 'homework/journaling' for any extended period of time.

Thanks, any help (and positive advice on clonazepam withdrawl) would be greatly appreciated. Andre.

2. Livvygurl

Livvygurl Well known member

Welcome Andre!

I know what you mean I have chronic stiff muscles too. I am working on releasing the stiffness and pain through journaling about my past and present stressors. While journaling experiencing the full Feeling is where the benefit comes into play. After I journal about something really intense like childhood feelings I sometimes get over whelmed by the emotion. It just shows how powerful our repressed emotions are, I have been looking into ways to cool down which has included meditation, and some of Louise Hay's audiobooks! This work on the self is a real challenge, facing the self – the greatest journey.

Hope this helps,

Livvy ~