1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Extreme muscle tightness, not sure about TMS

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by Archaea, Feb 6, 2013.

1. Archaea

Archaea New Member

Hi, All. I have been struggling with low back pain for over a year, mostly leg pain really. I first went to a sports chiro last summer and he thought my sciatica and tightness in left glute area was pririformis. So he treated with stretching and trigger point therapy (with a hard ball and a foam roller).

When that treatment didn't work I had an MRI. L4/L5 herniated disc, mid-sized. This is the definitive medical opinion that I have been given by two MD's: left side sciatica and low back pain and gluteal tightness/spasm caused by herniated disc. I tried McKenzie therapy and it worked for a few days, but then the sciatica in my left foot and toes came back with a vengeance.

So no PT has worked and I don't want shots/surgery. I just found out about TMS last week, read back pain book by Sarno. I think it all makes sense so I started trying to 'talk to my brain' and other things.

My pain this morning was even worse than at any point in the past. I could not even get my left shoe on. Not because of pain alone, but my left upper glute is so tight it won't move. I finally got my shoe on and headed to work. It is a pain that is an absolute 10 when I am in certain positions, like driving. But it seems to get better as the day goes on. I am a teacher and am on my feet all day. What is ironic is that up until a couple of weeks ago I could not stand for long periods without pain. But now I have a hard time sitting until I have been able to get loosened up.

Does this sound like a muscle problem, a disc problem, or could it really be TMS?

Thank you!

2. BruceMC

BruceMC Beloved Grand Eagle

Well, if the only diagnosis you've received by the traditional MDs is "herniated disk" between L4/L5, your symptoms certainly sound like the ones typically associated with a TMS diagnosis. A first caveat: At this forum, we don't diagnose or treat, but only give advice and support. That said, I would recommend that you begin working the 37-day SEP (structured education program) available on the first page of the TMS Wiki. Since you're already familiar with Dr Sarno's TMS diagnosis and treatment from reading his books, you'll find that the SEP puts into practice the treatment plan recommended in Healing Back Pain and The Divided Mind. We also have a large Media library of various videos relating to TMS. You might also like to look at the section of Success Stories. You may recognize similarities between your own condition and the ones described there and see how many people, just like you, have improved and healed themselves. On Saturdays at 3 pm EST there is also a drop-in chat where TMSer get together and share notes about their case histories and personal experiences. This is an evolving self-help group.

Your about to start an exciting journey on the way to healing and full mobility. Best of luck!

MorComm

3. Archaea

Archaea New Member

Thank you for the response, MorComm. I sure don't feel very excited. More like confused. I'm not sure what is going on or if TMS is even the cause. It makes sense from what I read, but it just seems very strange. And how in the world do I even find out what my subconscious is trying to do?

4. BruceMC

BruceMC Beloved Grand Eagle

You don't need to find out exactly what your unconscious mind is doing, but acknowledge that it is doing it as a way of distracting you from confronting unpleasant emotions repressed there.