1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Explaining TMS to partner

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by freedomseeker, Aug 11, 2019.

1. freedomseeker

freedomseeker Peer Supporter

Does anyone have any advice on how to explain TMS to your partner/spouse? It seems like a difficult thing to explain to someone who hasn’t experienced it and knows nothing about it. I just feel like the response I get could potentially be upsetting and so out of fear I have not told him or anyone. I feel like I’m just trying to secretly heal on my own and I don’t know if it would help or make things worse to let my partner know what I’m going through. Part of me thinks it’s hindering my recovery on some level.

2. JanAtheCPA

JanAtheCPA Beloved Grand Eagle

I have to be honest, @freedomseeker - I am having a hard time with the fact that you've been doing this work for a while, and yet even your partner knows nothing about it? Nor anyone else?

Remind me: what is your recovery level?

3. freedomseeker

freedomseeker Peer Supporter

He is well aware of my symptoms, but not the details of my recovery process. Ive not gone into sharing these details because our relationship has not been good over the past few years (mainly because of my CFS), and I have felt safer keeping the knowledge to myself out of fear of him thinking less of me. I think he believes that this is “all in my head” and he just tells me to push through it.

Since I first learned about TMS one year ago, I’ve been able to heal from lower back pain through the structured Ed program on here, journaling and using curable. I also see a counselor. But my CFS has been much more of a challenge for me and I’m still struggling with it and not getting the breakthrough moments like I did with my back pain.