1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Day 3 Exercise

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by MSZ812, Mar 27, 2017.

1. MSZ812

MSZ812 Well known member

The last time I exercised was... this morning. I drove to the local park and ran/jogged/walked for about 2 miles at the track. The weather was great, I listened to some upbeat music. I am definitely out of shape and was huffing and puffing at certain points. The pain was there, but not overwhelming. I tried to focus on my breathing. From the track, you can see a mountain (more like a large hill) off in the distance. It's the most noticeable land mark in our town. I remember attempting to hike it with a friend 6 or 7 years back. I made it about halfway. And I was in much better shape back then. I think this hill is now on my list of goals. Maybe I'll make it halfway again, maybe less to begin with. I've heard there are great views at the top, as it is a common hiking trail up there for the outdoorsy folks. It matters to me that I make goals and strive for them again. Pain has zapped me of a lot of aspiration the past few years.

“Mental pain is less dramatic than physical pain, but it is more common and also more hard to bear. The frequent attempt to conceal mental pain increases the burden: it is easier to say “My tooth is aching” than to say “My heart is broken.”
    C.S. Lewis, The Problem of Pain

mike2014 and Ellen like this.
  2. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi, MSZ812. Having a goal like climbing that hill is a good thing... but be patient about it. I think it's wonderful that you were so active in the park. Keep that up, trying for a little more at a time, and you soon will achieve that goal. But keep in mind, climbing a hill is more stressful on the body than walking on level ground.

C.S. Lewis is one of my inspirational favorites. He must have suffered or he wouldn't have been so knowledgeable about pain.