1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

excessive researching about symptoms and asking in other forums

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by stevow7, Jan 2, 2020.

Tags:
  1. stevow7

stevow7 Well known member

i spend a lot of time asking in other forum about my symptoms. i said i won’t ask or search and keep improving, but sometimes when symptoms comes i freak out and start asking again and searching online to see if other people had or are having my symptoms.i usually never even say the word “symptoms” and usually just say something like general fatigue, especially mental, which i’m experiencing and today i wrote the word symptoms and feel bad about it.

did you guys drop everything forums related?

Last edited: Jan 2, 2020
  2. DVX

DVX New Member

I wrote about my symptoms in a post when i was freaking out. I realised later that it was a bad idea. When i am in the forums or posting about sensations, it's because i want to be reassured and i'm afraid. The goal is to be at place where you don't fear those sensations. When i search forums or write a post, i'm sending the opposite message to my brain so the sensations stay because i'm scared. So for me i try to stay away from forums but as you can see, it's easier said than done. Each time i catch myself wanting to be reassured, i breath and tell myself that i'm safe and those sensations are the result of emotion. You need to know 100% that it is a mind body symptom. I had back pain, burning sensations and lot more symptoms that went away because i didn't fear them. New symptoms are a little bit more difficult for me but it is a process and i will get there. Sorry for my english, hope it helped.

TG957 and tgirl like this.
  3. stevow7

hey! what exactly do you meant to say by “When i search forums or write a post, i'm sending the opposite message to my brain so the sensations stay because i'm scared.”? like you just don’t post right? thanks for replying!

4. DVX

DVX New Member

5. nowa

nowa Peer Supporter

6. plum

plum Beloved Grand Eagle

Yes!
    And don’t google either. Quit all that stuff. The answers are all here (and inside of you).

Dorado, TG957, DVX and 1 other person like this.
  7. plum

plum Beloved Grand Eagle

nowa and DVX like this.
  8. TG957

TG957 Beloved Grand Eagle

I have a slightly different take on the subject. While obsessive anything is TMS, I ended up building up my confidence that I in fact had TMS, thanks to obsessive searches and posting. Searches gave me answers to my obsessive questions, and posting became a form of journaling.

So, my point is that if you are able to turn your obsession into something constructive, then it is perfectly OK - after all, obsessiveness is what we are! If you recognize your obsession as such, you can deal with it much better. If you can laugh at it at times - you are on the path of recovery.

We all are very different, so find what works for you. Consider every advice you get, be grateful for each word of encouragement, but try to find your own path. It is a delicate balance to find, but be brave and creative!

Last edited: Jan 7, 2020
    Hayley and nowa like this.
  9. stevow7

10. stevow7

thanks for replying!

11. stevow7

i noticed i search and post a lot and that have become obsessive, because most of the times i’m questioning myself and looking at different answers makes my ocd worst. i do love to post and read here, but i’m slowly stopping this too.

12. TG957

Which means that you are slowly building up your confidence - congratulations! We all have been there. Weaning yourself off the dependency on this forum and learning to stand on your own feet is part of the process. Best of luck to you!

plum and nowa like this.
  13. TG957

This is the best of @plum!

plum and nowa like this.