1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Encouragement on giving up the back stretching routine?

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by Buckster, Feb 15, 2018.

1. Buckster

Buckster New Member

Hi folks. I thought I'd check with the good people here to see if I could glean some advice or encouragement on what I consider the final piece of the puzzle in terms of my recovery from back pain (which I believe firmly is a manifestation of my inner anxiety). I've stretched each and every day, without fail, but I am seeing the wisdom of giving up all forms of therapy, per Dr. Sarno's advice and, well, wisdom.

What has worked for you folks in the past, who have given up the therapy and boldly made your way forward? Does it just boil down to "just do it", and as Dr. Sarno would say, "not be concerned or intimidated by the pain"? Thanks for any and all advice on the matter.

2. MindBodyPT

MindBodyPT Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi Buckster!

I like the way you put that- I really think it does boil down to "just do it" and "don't be concerned with or intimidated by the pain." I had been doing my PT stretches diligently that I used to believe in, but once I got into the TMS methods I gave them up and focused just psychologically. Each time I felt the pain I acknowledged it and tried to move on without focusing on it too hard.

I will say that I continued exercising (which includes stretching) but re-framed what I did and how I thought about it as general stretching for my body and having nothing to do with my pain, just part of a warmup or cool down. Some folks on here had to more gradually phase out their PT exercises but it worked better for me to just give them up entirely, depends on your style.

Bingo2500 and Buckster like this.
  3. Buckster

Buckster New Member

Thanks MindBody! Re-framing may indeed help me start to separate from the actual routine. If I can view it in the context of "warming up/cooling down", I may eventually be able to scrap it. I will say there are days where I've forgotten to do the exercises, and when it dawned on me that I had forgotten, I noticed no appreciable difference physically (i.e., I didn't feel any better or worse for not having done them). Perhaps that's exhibit A that its a psychological issue, and not a physical one, eh?

MindBodyPT likes this.
  4. MindBodyPT

MindBodyPT Beloved Grand Eagle

Yes a good piece of evidence to add to your list, for sure! I had the same thing happen once I scrapped my "back specific" exercises.

Buckster likes this.
  5. eskimoeskimo

eskimoeskimo Well known member

I used to do all sorts of stretches religiously, thinking that was the last thing keeping my spine from finally crumbling. I can look back now and see how silly that all was. I feel sure it did nothing of any consequence one way or another. I actually forgot that I used to do all those silly contortions until I saw your message. I can't say I have any great tips for losing the fear ... the only way I seem to lose a fear is to get more distracted by another one and that's not very practical advice. But I think MindBodyPT made a great suggestion. May you one day look back and think your old self silly.

Buckster likes this.