1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

EASTER WAS A BUMMER

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021), Mar 31, 2015.

1. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Holidays like Easter can trigger unhappy emotions long repressed.
    When I was about five or six years old, I went on a neighborhood Easter egg hunt
    with my older brother and sister. They found lots of candy eggs in a big field,
    and so it seemed did every other kid, but I found nothing. I was near to tears
    afterward and my mother made my brother and sister give me some of the candy they found.
    I was glad to have some of their candy, but remember feeling like I was the only kid in
    the world who hadn't found any candy on my own. Funny how it's almost 80 years since
    that Easter, but I still remember it.

I hope your Easter is joyful, even if you may have some unhappy memories about it.
    Same with Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Year's Eve. For some people,
    they can be a bummer. Now at Easter I turn my thoughts onto the joyful ones, like
    getting a new suit when I was a boy and going to Easter Sunday morning Mass with
    my parents and siblings, then a big Easter ham dinner with family afterwards.

And being able to eat candy again after giving it up for 40 days and nights for Lent.

Happy Easter, everyone!

PamD and rabbit like this.
  2. PamD

PamD Peer Supporter

I relate to the holidays being a time that can trigger unhappy emotions. Each year I still find it difficult and each year I resolve to approach it differently. I am very much still a work in progress. I remember once, when I was little, we went to an egg hunt. I had my special Easter dress on and pretty white shoes. My mom was in the hospital but we tried to "celebrate" anyway. All I remember really is a bully girl pushed me into a bush of thorns to get to an egg before me. I was stuck in the bush for a long while before I broke free. I got in trouble for ruining my outfit. I still wear Easter dresses, it is a part of me and my celebration of spring. A few years ago I had Easter at my farm and I rode my horses and fed them while wearing my dress. I didn't care if it got dirty. I had fun!

I have a love/grief relationship with Easter it is the only holiday I like but it seems to bring up the losses I have too. I love spring so I like to celebrate that. I love to host Easter parties. I have a story I find funny, but others might find it terrible...One particularly difficult emotional year I hosted Easter for my family and a few friends. For the egg hunt I began to fill plastic eggs with money and candy per usual, but some mood overtook me and I filled a few of them with things like cheese wiz, chocolate mousse, crabcakes, vegi dip, we called these the dud eggs. The kids did not find the same humor in it as I did, Of course they were not drinking mimosas. I hope I didnt wound them.

Forest likes this.
  3. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi, Pam. Thanks for sharing your Easter stories, some happy, some sad, some funny.
    I do love Easter. It's a time to celebrate spring and, for Catholics and other Christians,
    to be joyful for its religious significance.

Happy Easter everyone!

4. cishealing

cishealing Peer Supporter

Walt, I have an Easter story just like yours! I've always had rotten eyesight, and one Easter all the other kids saw and scooped up the eggs before me and I had nothing. My parents made my sister share her eggs. Ah, mercy eggs.

I'll make sure to eat an extra chocolate egg this Easter, for little Cee.

Cee

5. lexylucy

lexylucy Well known member

I grew up with a Jewish mother so we celebrated Passover. I was always a little afraid of the women in my family because they could fly into a rage or a drama. There were also all these strange dynamics around food. And family. But I loved the holidays. Being at my big aunt Dianne's house with a giant turkey, and matzo ball soup, and sweet potato pie. Delicious. I loved my cousin's and we would play and have great fun. And try to find the ahfi-coman. (our version of an egg which is a piece of cracker folded up in a napkin with money). I always loved all of the music and rituals. It was fascinating.

But I always forget about Easter and the birth of Spring so it's nice to be reminded.

My father is Christian and when I visit him my stepmom is always painting eggs with these beautiful pink yellow green and purple colors. And there is always chocolate :) And presents. I think I'll celebrate Easter this year instead and go see a beautiful gospel choir.