1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with JanAtheCPA as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

DVD

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by Kathi, Jul 10, 2014.

1. Kathi

Kathi Peer Supporter

Would you recommend buying the DVD of Dr. Sarno's 2 hour lecture for $89? That seems to be the only way I can access it?

2. Ellen

Ellen Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi Kathi,

I think the answer to that depends on how tight money is for you. I watched it and Sarno is always great, but the script given to the audience actors is annoying. They ask questions as if they weren't listening at all to a word he said.

I really like the audio book of Sarno reading "Healing Back Pain", and it costs a lot less. I listened to it every day for awhile when I was stuck in my recovery. There are also lots of good books on TMS by other authors.

3. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

I agree that if the price of the Sarno DVD is too high for you, the audio book would be a great way to go.
    His voice is very soothing and some say it was more helpful than reading his book.

4. Cap'n Spanky

Cap'n Spanky Well known member

I agree with the above comments about the video. Unfortunately, it's not as good as it could have been. In addition to the audio version of "Healing Back Pain" (which is read by Dr Sarno and is great), there is also one for "The Divided Mind", read by a professional voice over guy and I love it.

5. Forest

Forest Beloved Grand Eagle

6. 3rdCoast

3rdCoast Peer Supporter

I recommend the printed book first, the audio version second, and the DVD last. I agree the DVD is scripted as others have pointed out. Also the DVD is dated which can make it harder to relate to. Dr. Sarno reading his own book is something you can listen to again and again. Listening to the audio book helps reaffirm facts about TMS that one might not take in the first time through.

7. Kathi

Kathi Peer Supporter

Thanks, guys. I ordered the cd of dr. Sarno reading the book. You saved me a lot of money. ☺️

8. Cap'n Spanky

Kathi - I think you'll be glad you have the audio book. I find it really convenient to listen while I'm getting ready for work in the morning, driving, exercising, etc. Sometimes it's hard to find the time to sit-down and read.

Switching topics to the video... it would be awesome if someone could create a top-notch documentary on Dr. Sarno, his method of recovery, and all the people he has helped. Maybe someday.

9. jlm

jlm Peer Supporter

Kathi, do have the book, too? I found the audio okay for an overview, but preferred the book, but then I am a visual learner, not an auditory one.

10. Kathi

Kathi Peer Supporter

Yes, Thanks. I have several of the TMS books. I'm a book junky!

11. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi, everyone. Thanks, Forest, for the kind words about my summaries of the Mindbody Prescription.

I don't know the details or progress, but someone is working on a video all about Dr. Sarno and TMS.

12. Cap'n Spanky

That's great news, Walt. The more info we can get out there, the better!

13. Ellen

Ellen Beloved Grand Eagle

14. andy11

andy11 New Member

Howard Stern mentioned recently that he was being interviewed for a documentary on Dr. Sarno. I don't know if it's the same one mentioned above, but I doubt that Stern would sit down for an interview unless the film was a reality.

15. andy11

andy11 New Member

I also agree that while the scripted parts of Dr Sarno's video are somewhat off putting, they are genuine patients who have been treated by Dr Sarno, and the interviews with them between the teaching segments reveal them as real people with interesting back stories. I've found the dvd quite helpful.

Tennis Tom likes this.
  16. andy11

andy11 New Member

I just want to add a few more thoughts to this. I'm currently listening to Dr Sarno reading his book, and have watched the dvd many times over the last month. For me, the DVD has been more helpful. I certainly appreciate Dr Sarno 's audio book, but it doesn't really add anything to the book which I've read several times. I still benefit from listening in my car, and appreciate it, but find the DVD a unique experience.
    The main 'problem' people seem to have is that the audience is asking scripted questions, which sound somewhat forced.I understand that, but also feel those questions were specifically for the purposes of a teaching lecture, and designed to offer as much information and answer questions as possible. The DVD is as close as we can come to sitting in on Dr Sarno's lectures, which are, as he says, treatment. I've found that every time I listen, another aspect of the process of TMS comes clearer to me than before, and my understanding deepens, which is really what the goal is-hetting the teaching to sink into our sub conscious by understanding it to the end of believing without conflict. I also find that I like the students, who are interesting in the interviews between teaching sessions. Their questions may be prepared, but they apply to each individuals personal life, and these people represent a wide variety of symptoms and personality types.
    I also came to understand Dr Sarno better as his personality comes through in ways that is difficult in reading the book. I recommend it.

Forest likes this.
  17. Kathi

Kathi Peer Supporter

Thanks, Andy11. I also find listening to the CD pretty much the same as reading the book. I may buy the DVD yet.
    On another topic, affirmations are supposed to be positive statements and in the present. Therefore, I've modified the 12 daily reminders into affirmation form. Is this presumptuous of me or a pretty good idea. What do you guys think? Has this come up before?