1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Drowning in information!

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by kindle123, Aug 4, 2018.

1. kindle123

kindle123 Peer Supporter

I just feel like out of the fire and into the frying pan all this TMS information is so so so overwhelming. After reading Dr Sarnos book, I picked up Stevens cause that’s what is mostly recommend, then found Nicole Sach, Abigail Stanley and lastly Monte(who in particular made me think Dr Sarnos work is BS). All these other people have such different approaches, how do I know what to follow? Or who to read? Repressed emotions or not?
    There is just so much information out there and I have started my journey and these contradictory statements by other authors just have me miserable right now. I know I need to be patient with this process but I feel so lost. Please help.

Purist likes this.
  2. pain78

pain78 Newcomer

Hi Kindle123,

I think you're raising a very good point and I feel the way you do, although I haven't gone through as many resources as you did obviously. I'm not new to TMS, but I'm seriously in the process of trying to cure it since a few weeks. Nicole Sach's method resonated well to me. I neither read her book, nor took her class. I've just watched her free videos and testimonies from people. I had to ask questions on this forums though about her method and how to do it, and I've had people telling me it didn't work for them, whereas Sarno's method did. Some even told me her method wasn't good, because you shouldn't give that much attention to your repressed feelings. I watched and read things about nerve pathways (according to Dr Schubiner), whereas Sarno's explanation is all about rage and repressed feelings. I'm currently reading Steve O.'s book and I'm so amazed how he explains to go beyond the pain and insits on doing things beyond the pain. How is that possible? In my case, I'm experiencing pain of course, but my back muscles can be so tight sometimes that it's just impossible for me to move. It's not only a matter of pain.
    I came to the conclusion that everyone is different. Everyone is going to experience something different and probably everyone is going to have a slightly different method to heal. It's probably a matter of finding the right one for you. I'm going to continue journaling as I'm doing right now as well as practicing meditation. If I'm not seeing any difference, I'll try something slightly different. Unfortunately, there's no such thing as a TMS pill ;) and the cure is obviously not as straightforward as we wished it could be, although some people claimed they were cured just by reading Sarno's book.
    Good luck.
    P.S.: Who is Monte you're talking about in post please? What makes you think reading this that Sarno's theory is BS?

Purist, Ellen and BloodMoon like this.
  3. BloodMoon

BloodMoon Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi pain78,

This is Monte's website http://www.runningpain.com (The TMS Master Practice Program - The New-Sarno TMS Program - Home) and this is a more informative page about his views about TMS http://www.runningpain.com/important_tms_updates (The TMS Master Practice Program - The New-Sarno TMS Program - Important TMS Updates)

I agree with your conclusion that it's probably a matter of each person finding the right method for them to heal. (I'm finding it really frustrating and time consuming working my way through it all in endeavouring to find what might eventually work for me. Oh how I wish I'd been one of those people who got cured just by reading Sarno's books.)

Last edited: Aug 5, 2018
    kindle123 and Purist like this.
  4. Purist

Purist New Member

While I agree with the diagnosis, the path to healing is different for everyone.

The books often don't have a cure spelled out because someone's particular repressed emotions and situation will require a particular approach. I've heard setting a time table can lead to frustration and pressuring yourself to journal everyday can lead to anxiety if you missed a day. But this whole thing resonates as true to me, especially after all other methods have failed (3 injections, PT, pain meds).

Hang in there, one day at a time. Bring to the surface what is deep down and eventually the mind will give it up.

BloodMoon likes this.
  5. GetBusyLiving

GetBusyLiving New Member

SteveO's book and method really resonated with me. I do believe his method can work for anybody. Now, I'm far from completely healed as of yet...I'm just starting. But I am healing. I can feel it and I am living it in the steady progress I'm making over time.

I believe no matter your pain level, you can set incremental goals. He not advocating going out there and stretching far beyond your pain limits immediately. But he is saying that if currently you are not able to even walk, start by taking one step today...then two tomorrow...then three...four...a block...a mile...a jog... and so on (applied to whatever your particular TMS symptom is and a related activity you enjoy).

If you could fold a piece of paper in half 50 times, its thickness would be the equivalent of the distance to the moon. Don't fact check me on that...I heard it one time and did some quick paper napkin math and saw that, if not true, it still makes its point. Incremental progress adds up...and anyone can find their own starting point that eventually leads them to the same finish line as the rest of us.

You have to decide you want to heal, pick your own starting point, and just do it. Expect occasional setbacks and don't give up.

If you haven't finished his book yet - finish it. There's incredibly important content up until the end... especially around how you should think about your pain. You don't want to do it the way he did - and he says as much. It made it take much longer than it could have. You're not going to battle with your pain - you're relentlessly pursuing the things you want to do and love with the knowledge that you are and will be fine.

BloodMoon, westb and Tennis Tom like this.
  6. kindle123

kindle123 Peer Supporter

Thank you for your reply, I do believe this process is more of finding what’s right for you. But the overwhelming feeling I get at times that I don’t want to miss out on any information (and that starts the whole cycle of what is really the right method to tackle TMS). Lol and I wish there was a TMS pill

7. kindle123

kindle123 Peer Supporter

Thank you Purist, I’m trying not to be too hard on myself, will definitely stick to your advice of one day at a time.

8. kindle123

kindle123 Peer Supporter

Thank you for your reply. I am still in the process of reading his book(love the extra information it has) however I do keep going back to read again and again the quotes and studies that he has put in his book(helps me stay grounded).

9. HattieNC

HattieNC Well known member

All you need to know is that the pain is not coming from anything physical, but it is entirely psychological. Sounds easy, right? But our TMS personality wants reinforcement that we are doing everything exactly right! The most knowledgeable expert, the right program, the correct amount of time. Should we journal, meditate, exercise, see a TMS therapist, or just observe the pain? And, heaven forbid we miss an audio, video, book, or podcast that might be "the one."

Go through Alan Gordan's program. Then if you choose, supplement that knowledge with the experts vetted and recommended on this Wiki. Use that knowledge to build your own program. You are your own expert. Now that I am about 75% better, I enjoy the variety and diversity of opinions about the mindbody connection. Some of them resonate with me and some do not. Practice self love and patience as you navigate the process. Focus on the journey and not the destination.

westb, Ellen and BloodMoon like this.