1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Steve2 as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Dreams and TMS (continued)

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by Forest, Apr 15, 2013.

1. Forest

Forest Beloved Grand Eagle

Hey Everyone,

We had a really fantastic discussion this past Saturday about Ellen’s story, from the TMS book Pathways to Pain Relief by psychologists Eric Sherman and Fran Anderson. We didn't get to talk a lot about our own experiences during the conversation, so for the discussion group this upcoming Saturday, April 20th, we will be talking about our own experiences with the different themes that came up in Ellen’s story. These include how can we can use our dreams to be more in touch with our emotions, as well as learning how to pace ourselves in our recovery. How fast is too fast? How do we know when we are digging up too much and introducing too much chaos as we journal?

If you haven’t read Ellen’s story, or weren't here for last week’s discussion that is completely fine -- we’ll give a brief summary of the chapter at the beginning of the discussion. For those of us who have already read Ellen’s story, if you want, you can read ahead to the next section in Pathways (“Sessions with Mrs. R”) but we may not get to it this week.

As always, the discussion group will start at 2 PM (ET) and will run until 3. More information can be found at www.tmswiki.org/ppd/Call-In_Peer_Discussion_Group.

2. njoy

njoy aka Bugsy

Last Saturday was a really was a useful discussion for me, Forest. Pathways isn't on my "favorite tms books" list because the perspective is a bit academic and the case studies describe people who have access to many years in therapy. I admit to wondering what this had to do with me.

To my surprise, the Saturday morning discussion clarified several useful principles about recovering from tms. One was the notion that we tsm-ers need to be patient and allow our unconscious to reveal itself at its own pace. Push too fast and it will push back or, worse, shut down. I knew that intellectually but now I know it at a deeper level.

Also, Ellen was very shut down and unaware of her own feelings but her therapist naturally felt them as Ellen told her stories. Dr. Anderson became involved; it worked because she genuinely mirrored feelings to her client and that helped Ellen to become more aware of them. I thought that was very interesting and perhaps one of the reasons why a good friend or a kind relative can sometimes act as an effective counsellor.

Looking forward to future discussions.

3. Forest

Thanks, njoy, I think you've done a great job at taking the abstract discussions and bringing them down to real life. I thought you did the same thing during the conversation itself and that you were a very welcome female perspective, balancing out all of us boys. :)

Well said.

Me, too. Thanks for joining us.

4. njoy

njoy aka Bugsy

Well, thanks to all who have been building this wiki. Best thing I've come across in ages. :)

5. Forest

I am really looking forward to continuing our discussion of Ellen's Story during tomorrow's call-in discussion group (Saturday April 20th). As always, we will start at 2:00pm ET and will run until 3.

Quick connection info (for detailed instructions, click here):
    If you're connecting by phone, dial 1 646 583 7415 and when prompted enter the pin code 21558901.
    If you're connecting via your computer (Fuze Meeting), go to www.fuzemeeting.com/fuze/app/48fb7aa8/18311499 and follow the instructions from there.

For more info, check out the discussion group wiki page. I hope to see you there!

6. Forest

Hi everyone,
    Here's the recording from our discussion on the 20th. Feel free to listen to it here, or download it to your computer by right-clicking on this link and saving it to your computer. Enjoy!

7. Eric "Herbie" Watson

Eric "Herbie" Watson Beloved Grand Eagle

lindsey lohan, boxers and rabbits
    now aint this so real life

Forest likes this.