1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Steve2 as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Dreams about my symptoms

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by Patrisia, Aug 8, 2019.

1. Patrisia

Patrisia Peer Supporter

Hi all,

I have this strange problem: My brain keeps "working" at night and I dream about my symptoms all the time. It's like I am half asleep and half awake and my brain is spinning in circles about why I got what I got, when is it going to end, what would help etc. I wake up pretty exhausted. Sometimes the dreams escalate to pretty scary ones, from which I wake up pretty desperate and hopeless even though I do feel better in real life so I should not be this panicky.
    Anyone who had this too?

2. Ania

Ania Peer Supporter

Yes, I had this as well.
    First try to relax before going to sleep - watch some light movie, talk to someone about anything but not you pain. Do something that will take your attention away from your pain.
    And second - when you're already in bed just try to relax whole your body (like during yoga sessions) - relax you head, face, lips... feet, legs, hands, arms ...etc. Go piece by piece through your body just breathing and focusing on relaxation.
    If your pain-thoughts are coming and distracting you do not worry, just accept them and let them go away.
    I learned this from this forum recently and it really helps.

JanAtheCPA likes this.
  3. JanAtheCPA

JanAtheCPA Beloved Grand Eagle

Great advice from Ania. I also highly recommend visualization, which is a meditation/mindfulness technique in which you visualize a desired outcome. In this case, your desired outcome is a normal night's sleep which leaves you refreshed in the morning. It really only takes a minute or two to be effective, and would be easy to do after the relaxation exercise that Ania recommends.

4. Marls

Marls Well known member

I’ve had the all night jeebees with that incessant loop of how/when/where/why so when all else fails I become a night-dream story teller. I’ve been a fearless Viking warrior, a compassionate healer, a pirate queen, a brave WW2 spy in Paris and I bore myself to sleep! Truly, it works for me. Marls

JanAtheCPA likes this.
  5. Patrisia

Patrisia Peer Supporter

Thanks so much everyone!!