1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Dr John E. Sarno @ Senate Committee Hearing - Pain in America: Exploring Challenges to Relief

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by crimslock, Sep 14, 2012.

1. crimslock

crimslock Peer Supporter

[​IMG]

Forest likes this.
  2. JanAtheCPA

JanAtheCPA Beloved Grand Eagle

Oh my, he doesn't look happy, does he?

I skimmed through most of the testimony presented at that hearing, and it was rather disheartening - there's this new urgency for recognizing and treating pain conditions, but the recommendations are the same old stuff. I got a sense that many of the speakers were mostly concerned that pain conditions be recognized so that the myriad of (what know are ineffective) treatments will be paid for.

On the other hand, Senator Harkin (a member of that committee) did speak about his recovery from back pain, and his niece's recovery from fibromyalgia, both thanks to Dr. Sarno.

What I don't know is whether the Senate committee came to any conclusions or made recommendations or whatever the hell it is they do in committee. I mean, I know that bills come out of committee, but most bills end up going nowhere. I can't find any followup.

Jan

3. crimslock

crimslock Peer Supporter

Hi Jan,

Yes it was very disheartening that they don't recognise and investigate mindbody diagnoses. As you said all the same old stuff. I thought the purpose of the senate committee was to investigate "NEW" ways of treating pain... They just didn't get Dr. Sarno at all...

A positive for us TMS suffers and those who may be new to TMS is that we can have more assurance that TMS is real by the testimony of a Senator. Surley a testimony of a Senator during a senate enquire speaks volumes....

4. JanAtheCPA

JanAtheCPA Beloved Grand Eagle

I tell you what Crims - the number of new members right here on the forum is increasing so fast that it's hard to keep up. THAT'S the really good news!

Cheers,

Jan

5. Chuck

Chuck Peer Supporter

There was one really good moment when Senator Harkin shook the book at one of the other doctors (who did not know about TMS) and asked him if he had read the book (possibly Healing Back Pain?). That was a great moment. Having a Senator on a health committee is a really good sign though. If nothing else, it means there is someone there who understands TMS and what it means.

There probably would never be any sort of bill about TMS, but there is a chance to provide more funding for research into TMS. Howard Schubiner has already completed one RCT about TMS treatment helping people with Fibromyalgia. One of the most promising ways to reach skeptical medical clinicians is to hand them RCT's showing the effectiveness of this approach. Perhaps (and it would be almost impossible to know if this hearing had any effect on this) this hearing, and Sen. Harkin's influence may increase NIH funding for TMS research, which could propell TMS into becoming a first line treatment.

Susan and JanAtheCPA like this.
  6. Lori

Lori Well known member

He will always be very special to me! :D