1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Steve2 as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

doubts about recovery

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by George, May 9, 2013.

1. George

George New Member

I'm having my doubts today about getting better. It seems like when I first learned about TMS, my symptoms almost vanished completely. Then I was put back into the ring with my stressors. Yesterday I found closure and settled a very emotionally challenging situation in my life. So, a big weight is off my shoulders. And maybe I felt a little more at ease this morning, but this afternoon I feel all the pain again. I'm not quitting the program, just need to say I'm not sure about it all. I have my doubts today.

2. yb44

yb44 Beloved Grand Eagle

It is good that you recognise your stressors. I can imagine that weight lifting off your shoulders but it may take some time to process your feelings about your challenging situation. One of my stressors has been my job. I handed in my notice this week and I haven't yet felt any reduction in my symptoms. I never assumed they would just disappear over night. It will take me time to adjust to the change. Any change, positive or negative, can be stressful and aggravate our pain or other symptoms. It's a real b***h, isn't it? We just want to feel better so we can get back into doing the activities that make us happy. The trick is to just get on with these activities and not wait for the symptoms to go away first.

It is a natural part of the process to doubt. All of us experience it at some point. You will get through it.

George likes this.
  3. gailnyc

gailnyc Well known member

Well this should show you that there is nothing structural wrong with you, because otherwise how could the pain have disappeared, even for a short time?

ValVal likes this.
  4. Leslie

Leslie Well known member

It's great that you were both able to take control of stressful situations and feel any degree of relief from it. Don't forget to reward yourselves for your courage. Additionally, keep in mind that although you recognized the stressful nature of the issues you resolved, the issues themselves were familiar. Now that you've altered or eliminated those particular issues, you are in unfamiliar territory, which is stressful in itself - us humans are creatures of habit, as good as change is, we generally find ourselves resisting it (even if it's on a subconscious level).

TMS healing for me has generally been 1 step forward and 3 or 4 steps back. It's really hard not to let the doubt that comes with the backward steps shadow the progress of the single forward step. We all have days when we are not able to be our own cheerleaders - that's what the forum is for! yb44 is absolutely right George, you will get through it. We have all been there, each time you experience the doubt it will be less and less until eventually it doesn't register at all.

gailnyc and yb44 like this.