1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Does osteoporosis fit the TMS model?

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by Freckles, Aug 3, 2018.

1. Freckles

Freckles Newcomer

After a "twist and lifting movement" I ruptured a disk which apparently leaked out onto the root nerve at L5S1. This was about 2 years ago. I read Dr Sano's books (and believe that I could have TMS). I still have back pain and the odd nerve issues running down into my foot but it is not the debilitating pain that it was 2 years ago. I got on with life and managed to keep doing things pretty much "without fear". Back pain twinges had recently flared up again, and a Bone Density x-ray revealed a diagnosis of osteoporosis in my lower lumbar spine. I am now living in fear of doing most everything I used to do, having been told I am a "high fracture risk". Does osteoporosis fit into the TMS model? And should I be living so carefully / fearfully?

2. plum

plum Beloved Grand Eagle

The general consensus is that osteoporosis itself is not TMS but the pain generated by it, may be. Essentially this suggests that you would best to explore ways of replenishing your bones (through diet and exercise) while incorporating TMS protocol for the pain. It's not a case of either/or, healing is more expansive than this. You don't need to live in fear but a measure of mindfulness may be a good idea. Remember that your body is self-healing.

Have you looked Alan Gordon's new program?

3. Freckles

Freckles Newcomer

Thank you for your response. I have already embarked on an exercise, diet and supplement regimen to replenish my bone density. And now I will begin with the healing program to address the pain. I had hoped that the pain aspect may be TMS related so that I can "do something" about that too!

4. MindBodyPT

MindBodyPT Beloved Grand Eagle

Good question here and plum is spot on! Yes osteoporosis absolutely will not cause pain by itself. Of course it can make you more susceptible to fractures but it by itself is not pain producing. I'll also add that there are certain medications that are extremely helpful for osteoporosis...my mom had it pretty badly and the medication she used took it down to "osteopenia" (less severe), with no side effects. Not sure what it's called but definitely worth talking to your MD if interested. Food and exercise can help but i think the medication did the most.

Freckles, plum and Ellen like this.
  5. Freckles

Freckles Newcomer

Thanks MindBodyPT. I have researched the medication that doctors are quick to prescribe. They have potentially awful side effects. Equally concerning, is that yes, they do increase the density of the bones, making them harder too, but at the same time less flexible and more brittle and prone to fractures. My mom was also on this medication and snapped both of her femurs, on different occasions in pretty much the same spot on each! So I am totally anti these "wonder drugs" and would like to try heal myself more naturally. I do appreciate you taking the time to reply to me. And just reading your words "osteoporosis absolutely will not cause pain by itself" adds to my relief and confidence that my pain is TMS related - despite the fact that the pain is a different type of pain to what it had been before.

JanAtheCPA and MindBodyPT like this.
  6. MindBodyPT

MindBodyPT Beloved Grand Eagle

Glad that was helpful! Yes drugs certainly affect people differently so approaching them with caution is good. Everyone makes different choices on this front, there's no wrong way to do it.