1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Steve2 as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Does anyone else have similar symptoms?

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by Murphy, Sep 22, 2012.

1. Murphy

Murphy Peer Supporter

Hello Everyone,

Forest has mentioned that he really started making progress when he read the stories/recoveries of others that had TMS.

I was wondering if anyone else experienced some of the symptoms I currently have or could direct me to a thread where they are discussed.

Lately I have "allowed" myself to really be concerned with all of the popping and snapping I hear in my body. Literally head to toe in my feet, loud popping in my knees, elbows, shoulders, shoulder blade area etc. I do the self talk where I remind myself that "hey, the pain is protective and most likely just reduced blood flow to a certain part of the body. But as I've read, part of the syndrome is denial of the syndrome. Hearing the noise come out of me in the form of popping will sometimes allow the doubts to take hold. I am an artist who has always valued my hands to make a living and I have been getting a lot of pain popping and even warmth in my hands. Not in the joints as though they are swollen, but redness, warmth and tingling. I believe that I fear losing the use of my hands so they will cramp up and feel tight and painful. This has been spreading to my shoulders and scapula lately and been quite painful. Can some of the snapping be tendons, tight muscles or nerves?

Thank you all in advance. Everyone has been so helpful here with their advice and great comments.

2. BruceMC

BruceMC Beloved Grand Eagle

Murphy: The worse my TMS pain and weakness, the more snapping and popping I hear in my lower left lumbar region and left leg. I notice how if I obsess about the popping and cracking when I first get up, I will feel more sciatica and back pain that day. So, yes, I have experienced the symptoms you're talking about. Lately, though, as I've gotten better and better using the SEP and Dr. Shubiner's exercises in Unlearn Your Pain, there is much less noise in my hip when I get up, my left leg is stronger, and I am experiencing far less TMS pain. I'm not a doctor and in a position to diagnose, but I theorize that as the TMS recedes, my autonomic nervous system is pumping more oxygen into my leg and lower back in the form of oxygen-rich red blood, and, as a result, the TMS pain is disappearing. The TMS and popping joints seem to go hand-in-hand.

scottyboy8 likes this.
  3. Murphy

Murphy Peer Supporter

Thanks MorComm, this makes a lot of sense. I plan on buying the Dr. Shubiner's book and am currently on day 2 of SEP. I am still in the process of absorbing the information and hope to "reprogram" myself to invalidate the structural diagnosis I have received in the past.

Thanks again,

Murphy

4. tarala

tarala Well known member

Hi Murphy, in addition to a long term sciatic problem, a few months ago I started getting shoulder pain. With it came lots of crunching and popping. This finally (luckily) drove me to this forum. I am only on Day 3, but already the crunching has gone, and much less pain in the shoulder. Sciatica is still bad, but then I have been practicing it for 20 years! Good luck, Terry