1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Day 4 Doctor's Can't Help

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by itsallinurhead, Jul 13, 2013.

1. itsallinurhead

itsallinurhead New Member

My experiences with doctors and other health professionals have been pretty limited compared to some people. I went to a chiropractor for my back and he basically reinforced the story I was telling myself about the back pain being caused by weight lifting. I kept seeing him for adjustments over the next several months. Most of the severe pain went away, but the knots never did. Initially, he had told me that within a few months the tension would go away. When it was clear it wasn't going away he didn't have any explanation. He just said to keep coming back once a month for adjustments. After I realized it didn't make a difference I stopped seeing him.

The truth is that the mainstream medical community will never accept TMS. It would put too many people out of business. TMS cases are the best customers because the pain never gets solved, they just keep coming back month after month for more treatment.

My personal pain odyssey has taught me a lot about the limitations of the current health care system. For acute, traumatic type stuff they do a good job, but for anything that is holistic, psychic, and/or chronic, they really can't help you. They just aren't trained to look at the whole person and to ask you the right questions about your life. In the medical universe, the mind affecting the body is something that isn't allowed to happen. It just isn't possible.

My quest to figure out what is wrong with me has lead me towards the intersection of science, medicine, psychology, and spirituality. I have experienced all types of pain, mental and physical suffering, a bout of psychosis, and the terrible dread that I am in some way irreparably damaged. Still, I'm grateful for the experiences I've had. I feel like I have been slowly but surely uncovering some deep truths about life, and that there is hope to heal myself and maybe even help some others.

I'm very glad I found this community and the TMS diagnosis because I'm convinced that my problems are rooted in some very deep, and very powerful, emotional issues. I just need to keep in mind that the problem is not physical and continue to dig into these issues until they come to the surface.

Gigi and BruceMC like this.
  2. Gigi

Gigi Well known member

I read your post and had to smile. I've maintained for years that Western medicine does a great job of treating trauma, but they just don't know how to approach something for which they can't prescribe a pill.
    Psychological insights are important to process, but Sarno and others have found that in order to heal, we don't need to identify the specific psychological causes of our pain.It's enough to recognize that our symptoms are expressions of TMS.
    Blessings on the journey.

3. Lori

Lori Well known member

They are doing what they were trained to do. I had an orthodedist tellme I needed surgery, and a chiro friend who was sure he could help me. The adjustments felt good, but 10 minutes later the pain came back so I knew the chiro wasn't the answer. He initally mocked me about Dr. Sarno but could not argue that what Dr. Sarno said worked since I was back to "normal" a few weeks after being bedbound for a month or so. I didn't go into detail with the chiro about the work that was involved in getting myself back up and about. There was no point at that time.

I do think a lot of doctors believe that stress plays a role in ailments--they just underestimate the large role stress/emotional trauma, etc. actually contribute to our physical health or lack of health.

I remember Dr. Sarno saying our pain is a blessing--which now of course i understand! It opened up a whole new world for me and a new life's journey, for which I am very grateful!

You are right that as we keep digging (I journaled a lot and still do occasionally!) issues do indeed come to the surface where we can process them and find healing and relief! :)