1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with JanAtheCPA as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

DNRS and Gupta programs

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by denise marie, Jul 5, 2019.

Tags:
  1. denise marie

denise marie Newcomer

Hello -

Does anyone here have experience with the DNRS (Annie Hopper) and Gupta limbic retrainining programs? They seem to have been created for multiple chemical sensitivities, but claim to also be effective for chronic pain. I'm attracted to the concepts they are based on, but am wondering if they differ enough from "traditional" (i.e. Sarno-based) treatment methods to be worth the $300 they cost. And if they have a good track record with chronic pain specifically.

I have done Dr. Schubiner's program and read several books, listened to some of the podcasts out there with limited success. Trying to decide if I should be patient longer with those methods or try a different approach. If DNRS and Gupta are truly different or just the same concepts packaged differently.

Thanks!

2. JanAtheCPA

JanAtheCPA Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi Denise,

I don't know anything about the program, but in my opinion, if you haven't really accomplished the true emotional work as described so well by @Nicole J. Sachs LCSW in her book and her podcasts (and she also has a program, with a similar cost) you'll always be searching. Start with her first podcast, and don't skip any of them. The podcast title is "The Cure For Chronic Pain" and her book is "The Meaning Of Truth".

Last edited: Jul 5, 2019
  3. denise marie

denise marie Newcomer

Thanks for that advice. I have read Sachs and listened to her podcasts. I understand the value of her focus and have had a little success when I combine her concepts with some general expressive writing techniques. Just wondering if the limbic system retraining includes the "feel it to heal it" core principle along with the neural reprogramming. And whether they are basically the same concepts in a different package. From what I've learned so far, they seem to have a more cognitive behavioral focus.

4. JanAtheCPA

JanAtheCPA Beloved Grand Eagle

LOL, Denise. You are certainly good at intellectualizing this, aren't you?

I suspect that this is why you are stuck.

This is only my opinion, of course. But I can tell you that I didn't really turn the corner until I took some risks and finally found the little girl in me that felt isolated at a very young age, who even today still wants to be comforted and nurtured by my mother, even though I'm 68 and she's been gone for five years.

I don't believe that we can heal from the physical pain our brains create until we are willing and able to acknowledge and truly feel the pain of our existence. Face it, feel it, and finally accept it.

HattieNC likes this.
  5. Ellen

Ellen Beloved Grand Eagle

I tried the Gupta program for fibromyalgia and chronic fatigue. It didn't work for me, though I liked some of his meditations a lot. (I sold mine on eBay, so you may be able to find it cheaper that way.) I did recover using Dr. Schubiner's program and have stayed recovered for over 5 years now. I have an occasional relapse, but they don't last too long.

If interested, you can read my recovery story on my profile page. Wishing you the best as you move forward.

HattieNC and JanAtheCPA like this.
  6. Boston Redsox

Boston Redsox Well Known Member

You dont need all that stuff ....I love Nichole and how she brings so much knowledge and energy to the tms world ....but to me Dan Buglio from Pain free you nails it with is approach ...check him out..And yes like Jan said we need to feel the emotions and not get lost in story mode.

HattieNC likes this.
  7. lowella

lowella Peer Supporter

I used DNRS for MCS and it worked, but it's similar concept, you're just using more of your senses and self-talk, motions etc. It helped me get to 90% well but I then I had to find TMS principles for further healing, as DNRS encourages repression by telling you to always feel great about stuff (which is of course not always how you're feeling!)

JanAtheCPA likes this.
  8. Wavy Soul

Wavy Soul Peer Supporter

I did Gupta a few years ago and found it much more practical than Sarn (after a good 10 years on forums practicing Sarno). I'm now in a bad flare and just bought the DVDs for the Annie Hopper course. Their explanations for the intense conditions that some of us have had all our lives, core rage or not, make a lot of sense. Gupta explanation of the brain loop, with diagrams, is the perfect theoretical structure to embark on a reprogramming program. His is very good. I think DSNR is good, and maybe more thorough, and more sympathy for some of the chronic conditions. I'm optimistic. Will report my success story. I hope there won't be any sibling rivalry between systems -- that won't bode well for this body of information getting out there to the millions of people suffering and thinking they are crazy.

lowella likes this.
  9. Boston Redsox

Boston Redsox Well Known Member

All these programs mean well but there not much help in my opinion...I have had no success on of any them ..you need to get the knowledge of how MBS Works get a examination by your doctor rule anything serious read Sarno listen to Dan Buglio and move on with life .Self sooth when necessary by any means
    I been on this journey a long time and I feel all these programs are a distraction to real healing . Unless you had some horrific childhood is one thing . Digging up past traumas where never helpful for me if anything it fed the pain cycle. And also what never worked for me was the constant story mode of journaling , this put me in a state of depression for a couple of years . Since I stopped all these thing my pain as mellowed a bit but still constant . I accept the pain and move on with my life ...I try not to make the pain the most important thing in my life . Also sleep is the most important part of healing without sleep my pain is threw the roof I think Dr Hanscom says this and he spot on so whatever it takes to get sleep do it . And for me I try to deal with present moment emotions I don't go backward anymore I just call them experiences I had and leave it at that. These are my opinions of course everybody is different .

Last edited: Jan 31, 2020