1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with JanAtheCPA as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Day 1 Diving in

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by weightlifter94, Jul 21, 2019.

1. weightlifter94

weightlifter94 New Member

I injured myself weightlifting approximately 5 months ago. I have been diagnosed with herniated discs, mainly the L4-L5 region, degenerative disc disease, etc. After multiple doctor visits, steroid injections, PT, acupuncture, my pain has gotten better. However, it hasn't completely gotten better. I still would get sciatic pain, especially in the morning. I would get constantly discouraged and Google if the pain would ever go away and it would be normal again. I still struggle with understanding that it's all mental. i still try to reason that when I sit in a certain way, bend down, or wake up in the morning that it has to be structural because I'm "irritating" the nerve. I'm trying to embed in my head that I am psychologically doing this to myself. All I want to do is have the pain go away, but I know that I need to not focus on the pain, but rather on how to stay healthy and live a healthy life and not be so hard on myself.

I then stumbled upon Dr. Sarno's book, Healing Back Pain, a few weeks ago. I read Healing Back Pain and started "buying in". I was starting to feel better! Then, I felt a relapse, and I still experience pain when I sit down and straighten my leg, bend my back while sitting, or especially in the morning, when I raise my leg. i get numbness, tingling, and tightness. It now feels like things are centralized near my upper right buttocks. Anyway, I'm trying to do this for real. Journaling, reading, trying to uncover my emotions and come to reality that this is all in my head. it's psychological, not physical. I am in no real pain. I am healthy. There really is too much to write right now, but I know I will have others days to write more on.

Recently I have been getting back into running, and I will begin weightlifting tomorrow, which initiated my injury. I'm trying not to be afraid. I hope that going back to the gym will help. I'm diving in. I'm looking forward to hearing from anyone, and I hope to also help people. Thank you, All!

JanAtheCPA likes this.
  2. JanAtheCPA

JanAtheCPA Beloved Grand Eagle

Welcome, @weightlifter94, to the forum, and the SEP, and to a whole new way to live your life!

We can't ask for more than that. Those that give back, learn more and receive the most from doing so. :joyful: