1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with JanAtheCPA as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Day 4 Disheartening doctor visit

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by Alice, Jun 21, 2017.

1. Alice

Alice New Member

I haven't actually been to many doctors for my condition, despite 4 years of suffering. This was one of my most unpleasant medical interactions, which was with a nurse, so I'm cheating a little:

I started taking neurontin for my neck pain on the advice of a doctor family member. My PCP prescribed it but admitted she really didn't give it much so wasn't sure how to titrate it. So I found a local pain management clinic and thought I could go there and see what they'd say.

Because of my insurance, I had to get a PCP referral. I spoke to a nurse at the office, and explained about my situation. The nurse told me she didn't think the doctor would refer me to the clinic. "They're just going to give you drugs there," she said icily.

I then tearfully explained that I had tried PT, massage, acupuncture, ultrasound, and all I wanted was someone to help guide me on the management of a non-narcotic medication for my nerve pain, and I felt like she was calling me a drug addict. She made me FEEL like a drug addict. I was so disgusted.

It was really a lesson on how people with chronic pain are treated poorly by our health care system.

2. Andy Bayliss

Andy Bayliss TMS Coach & Beloved Grand Eagle

They tend to "blame the victim" consciously, or more often unconsciously. I am glad you found the work of Dr. Sarno.

3. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Alice, this may be giving you "tough love," but I think you might be grateful to that nurse for cautioning you against drugs. Too many doctors are just pill pushers and we're starting to discover how the big pharmas are poisoning us with opioids. You've discovered Dr. Sarno and TMS. That's where you will find relief from your pains.

4. Alice

Alice New Member

I know what you're saying, Walt, and I'm sure the nurse was trying to act in my best interest. But she didn't really know anything about me or the clinic (which was more of an interventional clinic that did procedures), so making a blanket statement like that made me feel like she was judging me.

5. Mags33

Mags33 Newcomer

I know how you feel and it's a very valid way to feel. Regardless of where you are with your pain and treatments, nobody deserves to be talked down to, given attitude, or otherwise made to feel as if they're just angling for pills. And while I totally understand that there are real dangers and side effects to drugs, if you are asking for pain medication because you are in pain, you shouldn't be made to feel "less than" for it - it will only make the pain and the TMS worse by increasing the feelings of guilt and shame you probably have already had more than enough experience with on your own.

I've been there many times, when I've been in tears over excruciating pain that I could do nothing about. My stomach is too sensitive to handle most anything stronger than Tylenol (and I'm very aware that there's only so much Tylenol you can safely take), and I don't want to take drugs if I can avoid it, but when I've come back to urgent care for the third time in four days because I'm in 9-10 level pain, I have no range of movement and can't find a comfortable position to sit/stand/lie down in, I'm just looking for relief in any form I can get it. I don't want narcotics either, and I certainly don't want to be treated as though that's what I'm there for, but I'd love a little compassion and maybe something to take the edge off or simply help me sleep so I can get through the worst of my flare-up. I don't need or want to be coddled but a little empathy and kindness goes such a long way when someone is dealing with chronic pain.