1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Did something to reach more people on FB

Discussion in 'About This Site' started by Beach-Girl, Mar 24, 2012.

1. Beach-Girl

Beach-Girl Well known member

Hello all:

I went on FB as the TMS page and looked up pages dealing with pain. There is a huge one for chronic pain and another for Fibromyalgia. I "liked" the pages as our page, which will show up in our "like" column. Then I posted a link to our FB page, talked a little bit about TMS, Dr. Sarno, and the wiki. Then I added a new post on our FB page welcoming anyone new - complete with the website address and also the forum.

Maybe this will reach some more people and that hopefully aren't too stuck into what they're doing to open their minds. Each of these pages has over 1000 members, so hopefully we'll attract a few people. I tried not to appear to be advertising, but rather an alternative to what they are currently offering each other. Which was kinda sad the few posts I read.

Hope this is OK. If anyone minds that I did this -PLEASE tell me and I can go back and undo it.

-L

2. Enrique

Enrique Well known member

I saw the exchange you had on the fibro page. I think it was done in good taste. We fight against much skepticism.

3. Beach-Girl

Thanks Enrique. I almost pulled my post but thought maybe someone might sneak over and check us out. I tired to be respectful but didn't expect them to come back at me so fast with their negativity. WE all know what it's like, and I have friends who have fibro.

Anyway - we'll see if anyone responds on my posts on the other pages. Do you think it is bad for us to "like" their pages? I suppose it can't really hurt as people popping onto our FB page will see we at least support their pages? Not sure how I feel about that one.

Dinner time - hope to get more feedback on whether or not reaching out is a good or bad idea.

BG

4. JanAtheCPA

JanAtheCPA Beloved Grand Eagle

BG, where should I go to look at this? I'm still kinda clueless about the interface between FB and "likes" and other sites. Without reading what you posted, however, knowing you, I'm sure you were tactful and tasteful and empathetic, and I myself don't have a problem challenging someone who seems to be invested in victimhood. Never been my style, and I think we can say that's generally true of anyone embracing TMS. I have seen emotions here, sometimes bordering on desperation, but no victims - that's something to be proud of!

I like your vision of someone "sneaking over" to the TMS site to check it out :D All it takes is one...

5. Forest

Forest Beloved Grand Eagle

I thought that you handled their negativity exceptionally well. You spoke from your experience and made it clear that you were just there to help and that you could very much relate to and respect their suffering.

I think that this is where we, as a grass roots network, can have a very positive result. It didn't take them very long for someone to comment that "The doctor is retiring and you want to sell books.....I don't think so..." Thank goodness we don't sell anything. If a TMS author had gone in there, no matter how kind or altruistic they are in real life, they would have been ripped to shreds. But cynicism can only melt in front of people whose lives have been so changed that they are making a nonprofit to spread the word. I thought that your post captured that terrifically.

Plus, you were just nice and friendly, telling your story and being polite. After you wrote the following, the reactions seemed to become much more positive:
    The Fibromyalgia/Chronic Fatigue Syndrome people can be particularly radical. For example, the following gentleman looks like he's written more than 100 Amazon reviews about books that mention CFS, and it looks like they get one star or five stars solely on whether they agree with his position on the subject. You can see all of his reviews here:
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/cdp/member...isplay=public&sort_by=MostRecentReview&page=5

On that page, he attacked general books like the Merck manual, the American College of Physicians Complete Home Medical guide, and the Mayo Clinic Family Health book, giving them one star each, solely because he took issue with their coverage of CFS (which he calls ME/CFIDS).

It's sad, really, but the best that we can do is to be good ambassadors for our position and our nonprofit, respectfully sharing our experiences and showing empathy for their experience.

Perhaps one of those 13,000 people will read your post and, maybe in 6 months, someone will mention this website again, and they will take a look and have their life transformed.
    Here's the link:
    http://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=232779050153149&id=109243719114101
    The mods of our Facebook page got it automatically in the mail. I'd be happy to make you one if you'd like.

The actual post was done on this page:
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Fibromyalgia/109243719114101

How does one "go on FB as the TMS page?" I'm surprised that you were able to post as the PTPN.

6. Beach-Girl

You need to be an admin on the Facebook PPD/TMS page and Brian is the one who can make you one. Under the "admin panel" there is a place where you can "post as the page" vs "post as your real name". I searched for pages dealing with chronic pain, fibro, etc. Then I went onto each and posted my message. We didn't get a huge response - yet. But as you said Forest, maybe we will.

If anyone else had ideas of pages that might be interested in "liking" our page perhaps they could try the same. It's easy to post as the page and then switch back to you.

But in retrospect, I think I should have waited until we had more "likes" - the bigger the page, the more likely someone is going to take a look. So I think I'll put this idea on hold for now, and try again when our FB page has more members.

Again: If you have friends who you think might post a link on their walls to our page, let them know in a pm. I asked a few friends who are healers, spiritual teachers etc and they posted the link on their walls. We jumped in numbers - don't know if these people saw the link or others stumbled on us.

Uh oh - bird in the shop - gotta run!

-L

7. Beach-Girl

Been "in abstencia" for a few days. Our Facebook page has grown by 10! I just gave the link to another friend with a gazillion followers. Will be around more soon - have spring break and all kinds of other things going on. But I'm here!!!!

8. Enrique

We're over 50 now... that's a nice little milestone!

9. Forest

Thanks so much! We'll keep growing!

10. Beach-Girl

I noticed some of the pages "likes" are gone? These are the ones I had tried to reach out to. Is it because it's April now and they're hidden? Or do we not want to reach out to pages that deal with chronic pain? Not sure if someone unliked them - or if I'm not seeing them because they're hidden. I noticed on my own wall they have "hidden" the likes I had last month and are only showing those for this month.

The latest post has grabbed some attention - very cool !!

-L

11. Enrique

I think it is because we're in April now. I doubt any of us unliked those posts. I think it's great to reach out to those other FB pages. Posting interesting content such as articles, Q&A's, etc. Why not? We're not selling anything. The only thing is to not post too often to wear out our welcome. And to not be repetitive because that is sort of like nagging and could become an annoyance to the moderators.

12. Beach-Girl

I didn't get the feeling many people were too interested, but you never know when someone who has "had it" will check us out, and (one of my favorite sayings.....) "follow the breadcrumbs".

I wanted to be sure my "likes" didn't go against what others thought was appropriate. (Goodist that I am)

-L

13. Enrique

Yeah, I think posting on occasion is actually a really good thing especially with information that is relevant to that particular audience, such as studies on Fibromyalgia for the Fibro FB pages. We could pick up a few converts here and there.

14. Enrique

15. Beach-Girl

I know. I haven't posted there in awhile - who else is posting? Hard to tell when it's "the page".

16. Enrique

I think it's Forest or Rinkey... but not really sure.

17. Forest

I'm one of the people, but someone else occasionally adds content as well. It's always nice to see other people's ideas for what our fans might like to see. For example, one person shared a quote,
    I think that that is exactly the type of inspirational message that will make people feel great, but it's the type of thing I wouldn't have thought of. I wouldn't know where to begin!

18. Beach-Girl

That might have been me. Not sure. I posted something inspirational from another page. But I'll try and get on there more, ust have a lot going on with house, shop, husband and teenage kitten. He wanders and wanders......"mom" has to get out in the mud to find him.

-L

19. Enrique

I think we have to post something at a minimum once per week. Otherwise, we aren't giving any value. Not more than 3 or 4 per week though so that we aren't spamming..... last post was on the 9th. Monday... we're due for something new...

Beach-Girl likes this.
  20. Beach-Girl

WE HAVE 75 LIKES ON OUR FACEBOOK PAGE ( thought I would shout it from the roof tops!)

BG

Forest likes this.