1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Day 1 Dealing with disbelief

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by Paxalot, Sep 23, 2013.

1. Paxalot

Paxalot New Member

Hello all,

I've been accumulating symptoms since 1989. I did the questionnaire "so you think you have TMS' and I have or have had a full 15 of 32 possible symptoms. This year I accumulated two more. I am writing this from my bed where I spend far too much time. I've travelled the USA and Canada looking for relief to no avail. I've spent some 50 thousand dollars of my own money not counting what I've cost the Canadian government in medical bills. I consistently get a clean bill of health from medical tests, and I've had an astounding number of them.

I only encountered Dr. Sarno's work two days ago and I'm on the precipice of disbelief. I fit the personality type extremely well and I had the violent, turbulent broken childhood and tortured adolescence as well. It seems beyond belief that my odyssey of suffering and mental anguish could be originating in me but that is where the evidence seems to be pointing. Through out my trials, mainly headaches, chronic dyspepsia, pelvic and leg pain, there has always been a 'strange' element where things don't add up. E.g. My pain would inexplicably lessen then inexplicably come roaring back. Meds would have no effect at all except to make me dependent on them. Seemingly trivial events would have enormously large negative long term effects.

My life is a shadow of what it was ten years ago. My son has spent his entire life with a sick dad.

I'm prepared to dive in and do the work. I have one last doctor's appointment this week to keep and then my schedule is clear for the rest of my life.

I'm amazed that this community exists and I'm hoping we'll do great things together.

Stella likes this.
  2. tarala

tarala Well known member

Hi Paxalot, and welcome to the forum. My history is similar to yours, and I can tell you discovering TMS concepts and this forum was a life saver. The support is informative, caring, and non judgmental. I can especially recommend the Structured Educational Program on the main Wiki page. And, with your history, you will probably appreciate The Great Pain Deception, by Steve Ozanich, who is also active on this forum. Relax, laugh, and know you can get your life back!

3. Becca

Becca Well known member

Such powerful words. I love it.

Pretty much everything Tarala said I'll echo - the Structured Ed. Program is a great place to start, and Steve's book is too. Another great place to get tips and support is the drop-in chat, which is held every Saturday at 2pm (Eastern Time) at www.tmswiki.org/chat . I like to think of the drop-in chat as a live version of the forum - you can ask similar questions you'd post here, but you get immediate responses!