1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Steve2 as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Day 8 - Breaking the pain cycle

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by Flute Girl, Nov 4, 2018.

1. Flute Girl

Flute Girl New Member

I have facial nerve pain and have been struggling for 7.5 years. I am convinced that my brain is stuck in pain mode. I am doing well in reading about TMS, writing and meditating. For the first time in years I am feeling hopeful that I can pull out of my nasty pain cycle. No consistent relief thus far, but mentally I am feeling better.

I got terribly angry at my husband this week because of how he reacted to a decision I made. I did scream out my frustration, but I also turned to my writing. I scribbled out four full pages of anger, swearing, and ranting. It was truly a miracle. I really felt so much better afterwards. The next morning the anger towards my husband had subsided. I haven’t kept obsessing over what was said and what he did. I just moved on. For the first time I really experienced how helpful writing can be to get out your emotions. Despite being very stressed and angry, I did not flare. I am hoping for a great week of controlled pain!

HattieNC likes this.
  2. Andy Bayliss

Andy Bayliss TMS Coach & Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi Flute Girl,

I am excited for you to experience such direct success with your writing. Fully, safely expressed anger is a huge healing for most folks, and I hope your post can be an inspiration for others.

Anger is "tarnished" with all the childhood messages about being wrong or bad. Plus, we tend to be people-pleasers, we TMSers, and being angry, we're afraid, makes us unlovable. Yet anger can give us clarity, strength, and clear boundaries --both inner and outer. It is these qualities which begin to work within our personalities to lessen inner tension. Again, congratulations Flute Girl!

Andy B

HattieNC likes this.