1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Day 4

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by Josh Howard, Jun 21, 2019.

1. Josh Howard

Josh Howard New Member

This personality trait described me perfectly. It's almost scary.

Stoic

The stoic personality trait consists of people who hold in their emotions. They have difficulty opening up to people and expressing their emotions. The idea of speaking about one's emotions and feelings seems awkward to these people. They rarely show anger, sadness, love and sorrow. They hold in their emotions as a way to be in control of their life. People with the stoic trait repress or ignore their emotions. As a result their unconscious mind creates TMS symptoms so they do not have to recognize that they are angry, sad, or even joyful. (Pain Free for Life, 114-116).

Do you have a stoic personality?

• Do you find it awkward or difficult to express your emotions?
    • Would you say that you may get a little angry or a little frustrated, but rarely have extreme emotions?
    • Does being in control of your emotions make you feel like you are in control of your life?
    • If people saw you express your emotions, do you think they would think of you negatively?
    • Are you embarrassed to cry in front of your friends and family?
    Excited about relearning the treatment methods and doing this program. Realizing now that getting back into therapy is probably the way to go because my anxiety/obsession about my physical symptoms are high. Think I need to relearn how to express emotions/cry- which sounds weird.

JanAtheCPA likes this.
  2. Atlantis

Atlantis New Member

I’m on Day 4 as well, Josh! I do feel like I’m
    stoic and for all the reasons listed. Thank you for the post.

3. Josh Howard

Josh Howard New Member

That’s crazy! I wish you the best in your journey. I’ve have my ups and downs over the first four days with pain and with how I’m feeling but today I was able to cry. Not sure if I was supposed to but there are certain triggers (like animals that have left us) that can really stir up my emotions. Of course I was only comfortable showing my emotions while alone, it’s too hard in front of people. Anyways sorry for rambling.

Have you read the book? That and therapy really helped me last year but I had recently had stress and back pain came back, along with other pains. Currently watching All the Rage: Saved by Sarno documentary.

Best of luck in your journey and keep me up to date with how you’re program is going

4. Atlantis

Atlantis New Member

Josh.. my pain has moved around.. neck, shoulder blade, arm, forearm, low back.. so weird how that happens. I’ve had one good cry, but not while journaling. It was when a certain song came on. I think I’m going to seek out a tms counselor to really get deep into letting my emotions go. I believe I need that. I listened to the audio healing back pain, read Truth by Nicole Sachs, and still reading The Great Pain Deception by Steve Ozanich. Is all the rage on Netflix or YouTube?

5. Josh Howard

Josh Howard New Member

All the Rage is on YouTube (I believe) but I watched on Amazon Prime, so many outlets to watch this stuff and find resources now, which is fantastic

6. Atlantis

Atlantis New Member

I’ll definitely look for it. Thanks so much! Let’s keep in touch with our progress. It’s so helpful.