1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Steve2 as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Day 31 of the SEP

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by Imagyx, Oct 11, 2012.

1. Imagyx

Imagyx Peer Supporter

Here's something I'm anxious about and I have a question connected to that as well.
    I want to get my strength back and signed in to hit the gym. I'll do this under observation of
    my PT and I'm somehow sure, she won't put to much pressure on my body with weights and machines.
    But what I'm unsure of in terms of TMS is the following:
    If my emotions and especially anxiety cut of my oxygen-supply for my muscles in my forearms through
    the central nervous system and I still work out instead of having some pain,
    can that damage my body ?
    I don't want to do too much at the outset but one has to start somewhere...
    I already felt my anxiety and therefore pain in my arms yesterday, when I signed the contract.
    I tell myself it's all psychological and it was very obvious yesterday, at least I think so.

Thanks for reading.
    I appreciate your answers and hope you understand my concerns.

2. Forest

Forest Beloved Grand Eagle

Taking it slow at first is a great idea, especially if you haven't worked out in awhile. It is important to build up your endurance, strength, and conditioning. The entire premise of TMS is that you do not have a structural issue, therefore activity and exercise wouldn't damage your body.

Having your symptoms increase when you sign the gym contract kind of makes sense. Your symptoms increased because of what signing the contract meant, i.e. you were going to take that last major step and become physically active again. At some level, this frightened your unconcsious, so it increased your symptoms as a last ditch effort to get you to change your mind. The fact that you were able to recognize what was going on is a great sign that you are making signficant progress.

3. Imagyx

Imagyx Peer Supporter

That was very helpful !!
    Your post actually put a smile on my face.
    I needed that so much, because I still have a hard time thinking this way, when it hurts really bad.
    My first workout is going to be on monday, so I'll post on Tuesday how it went.

Thanks a lot.

4. Imagyx

Imagyx Peer Supporter

It's Thursday now and not Tuesday, but I can still write what happened.
    I did it!
    Not with much weight after all the time off, but still a full workout and I
    did it again today.
    This strengthens my believe in TMS and searching further for emotional problems in my life
    as well as fighting off the fear.

Thank you again :)