1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Day 3 Journal

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by cirrusnarea, Jul 23, 2013.

1. cirrusnarea

cirrusnarea Well known member

When was the last time you exercised or did another physical activity? Today

What was this activity? Walking

How did it make you feel physically and emotionally?

Emotionally I felt great, I went for a walk a couple days ago, but today I walked a lot further. Physically, I felt some pain on the way back, so I turned around and starting walking some more. I wasn't in a lot of pain, but just enough to annoy me. While walking I pondered the emotional issues that are causing stress in my life.

If it is has been a while since you last exercised, why?

It had been a few weeks. I hadn't exercised because I was afraid of bringing on my back pain. Walking is what brought the pain on initially, and I have been getting back pain while walking ever since.

2. Emily

Emily Peer Supporter

Sounds like you are making wonderful progress!

Although you were annoyed by the pain, you used that for good (pondering emotional issues that may be causing you stress), instead of obsessing over the pain and letting that negatively define your walk. According to the goals of outcome independence, the level of pain after a physical activity is not what's important. What matters is redefining success to not care about the pain. I see you are doing this because you felt emotionally great after the walk, even though you experienced some physical pain!

3. cirrusnarea

Hi Emily, thanks for your input. I am making amazing progress. It all started the night I was having bad back pain and wondering would it go away and if something was wrong. It hit me all of a sudden that it was TMS and that I had nothing to worry about. I'm really coming along well since I resigned to that fact that it is indeed TMS.

4. Eric "Herbie" Watson

Eric "Herbie" Watson Beloved Grand Eagle

Yea, its the conditioned response cissanaurea - its where you have to break the habit of having walking associated to pain
    I had to exercise for a long time with a little pain , just a little for a long time- I believe like after 4 or 5 months
    I started to stop the fear or focus more cause I was walking more and with that I reconditioned my subconscious
    I know we all have our recovery plan and I learned to not pay to much attention to time too -so keep those three thoughts in your awareness
    I think your on the rd to recovery going for a walk. like the mind heals the body, the body heals the mind

5. cirrusnarea

Thanks Eric, I went for a walk today and am still in pain. It's discouraging. I'm just going to keep at it though. I haven't been fearful of it, but today it has me a bit worn down. So I'm a little concerned. Guess I'll get out my evidence sheet.