1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with JanAtheCPA as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Day 29 of the STRUCTURED PROGRAM

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by Jesse MacKinnon, Mar 19, 2012.

1. Jesse MacKinnon

Jesse MacKinnon Peer Supporter

Part of today's homework was to write an unsent letter to someone who hurt you. I wrote and unsent letter to my mom. My parents were very old school "Spare the rod spoil the child" and I was a great disappointment to them. Angry right out of the chute. Jealous when my brother was born. Terrible in school, always in trouble. So the"spankings" turned into enraged beatings largely from my mother. I think mom intimdated Dad so he had to join in. She constantly reminded what a *****up I was and how I "wouldn't amount to a hill of beans" Her and Dad's unending criticizing of me has left me with a lot of bottled up rage that I'm sure my inner little boy is afraid will come out in a violent way. so this has been much of my work. To comfort an reassure this little kid that it's safe to let these feelings emerge.

2. veronica73

veronica73 Well known member

Hi Jesse,
    I am so, so sorry to hear this. I have a lot of issues from childhood too (which wasn't even half as bad as what you went through) and I have found it helpful to think of taking care of my inner child now. That child is still in there but now I know what she needs and can try to create a safer inner world for her.
    There's a book called "They Can't Find Anything Wrong" that gets into how childhood trauma contributes to TMS or "stress illness" as the doctor calls it.
    Please give yourself a hug and do somthing nice for yourself today.
    :) Veronica

3. JanAtheCPA

JanAtheCPA Beloved Grand Eagle

Good lord, Jesse, no wonder your back is killing you! Your brain is not just working hard to keep that stuff bottled up inside, it's probably getting really desperate at this point!

Give yourself a HUGE amount of credit for the work you're doing, think about the reward, and smile as you visualize yourself getting up in the morning without pain, and with a free mind. You'll get there, I'm really confident.

Jan

4. Beach-Girl

Beach-Girl Well known member

Jesse:

Wow. That is a lot to reconcile. My mom didn't spank or beat me, but she was verbally abusive my whole life. I was supposed to be a boy and so she was angry with me the minute I arrived. Thank Goodness I had my dad.

I know the challenge it is to reconcile this abuse, as an adult. But one "a-ha" moment I had was that I realized this is all in the past. I can't change it. It made me who I am. But the key is: I can't change it. I can change ME going forward. I can reconcile it by realizing that *I* am a good person as are you. Your mom's rage was taken out on you. But it had nothing to do with you.

Keep writing about it. In Dr. Shubiner's book, he has you do "free-write dialogs". So you choose someone or an entity and have a dialog. Perhaps you could try this with your mom. You start with a question. Perhaps you could ask her why she was so angry with you? I bet you'll be surprised what comes out.

I know in my case, I did nothing wrong but be born with the wrong plumbing. In your case, I bet your mom had issues that had absolutely nothing to do with you, that made her rage on on you.

And lastly I am so sorry this happened to you Jesse. My heart goes out to you because you are an especially nice person. And keep writing. I'm sure a lot of us here on the forum can help you reassure that little boy - he's safe now.

BG

5. Jesse MacKinnon

Jesse MacKinnon Peer Supporter

Thank you to all who responded. I'm a little embarrassed at sharing this. I really have to ask myself if I'm exaggerating in any way. But no it really was that bad. My first inclination is to "man up" this is all in the past. My dad really tore into me some years ago when I reminded them of the time my mom dragged me down to the basement and shaved my head ( I was In a band at 14 Beatlemania ya know) I did it jokingly but it hit a nerve with him and instead of apologizing he just really told me to get over it. I am- but by going deep into the feelings, not stuffing them. Beach girl you are a saint. You always seem to be there with some great wisdom Thank you

6. veronica73

veronica73 Well known member

I always think the phrase "get over it" is so invalidating and demeaning. You don't get over it, you move through it. A lot of what you are describing is domestic violence. I trained to be a domestic violence counselor (but I ended up not doing it because it was too intense and triggering for me). We try to normalize our experiences, even horrible ones. I actually think it is worse for men in many ways because there is a greater taboo about men expressing feelings than there is for women.

Enrique, Jesse MacKinnon and Forest like this.