1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Day 27 Day 27 setback

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by mmo4, Nov 2, 2013.

1. mmo4

mmo4 Peer Supporter

Had a flare up this am. Yesterday was talking to relative who knows I am doing this program and asked how it was going. He said great keep doing it and then said "be sure to get that surgery for your stomach though". I had a moment where I was reminded of the diastasis I have from having kids-stomach diastais where you look like you are six months pregnant-weak stomach muscles. I have always heard that this leads to back pain. I am planning on getting the surgery later for cosmetic reasons but everyone says you need it for your back as well (stomach muscles no longer holding up back). I have heard this for years. I wonder if it became a self-fulfilling prophecy. I am terrified of the surgery as it is major.

So... My 100% confidence has been shaken as I have been reminded that sit could be physical. Maybe this has always been deep in my subconscious anyway. Any advice?

2. hecate105

hecate105 Beloved Grand Eagle

If you have had some success with doing the TMS work - then it is TMS. The fact you have had a flare up just after comments from a relative - point towards TMS too! There's nothing like family to set off pain/lack of self-belief/confusion/irritation - I could go on for ages!! A large part of many TMS personalities is a lack of self-esteem/self-belief/self-reliance. I suffered for years - it is really hard to develop it after a lifetime without - BUT - it is something we really need. We need to be able to rely on ourselves and our own judgement. It is fine asking others for advice or an opinion - but WE are the one who needs to make the decisions as WE are the ones who have to live with the consequences. Only you can decide whether or not you want the surgery for cosmetic reasons. It may be worth consulting a TMS-friendly Doctor to ask about whether the stomach condition causes back pain - if you are really unsure. But if the work you have done on the programme has been working - then TMs!
    But - this is just advice from a fellow forum TMSer - so read it - BUT make up your own mind - YOU are in control!! I wish you well.

Deepster, nowtimecoach and Ellen like this.
  3. mmo4

mmo4 Peer Supporter

Ok this advice really helps. I have been trying to turn a deaf ear to the nay-sayers. There are also people who want to give advice just to feel in control. I have to recognize this. I think the pain is TMS because it moves around and flares-up under stress. THanks again.

hecate105 likes this.
  4. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

I am not a doctor so I can't and don't give medical advice, but I would stick with the SED program and not get any surgery. Thousands of people have become pain-free by believing their symptoms come from TMS (repressed emotions). It could help you to join Tuesday night's call-in on Nov. 12, in which chapter 12 of Steve Ozanich's book, The Great Pain Deception, will be discussed. The chapter is titled "What You Need to Understand to Heal," and I think it would help relieve any doubts the naysayer implanted in your conscious. If you can't join the call-in, you could watch a video of it a day or two later. I wrote a summary of the chapter here:

http://www.tmswiki.org/forum/threads/day-5.3023/

Good luck and keep us posted about your progress.