1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Day 2 & Day 3 - Some deep work

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by Ruth_L, Dec 13, 2013.

1. Ruth_L

Ruth_L Peer Supporter

Day 2 - well last night before I went to bed I wanted to think about deep work and healing.

I had a thought before going to bed, it was about rage, and I saw it as a huge black tornado with glass and harmful bees and wasps in it.

I started talking to my DH (dear husband) about it. That initally did not go too well because he interjected a lot of stuff - his stuff in it. I was really angry because I needed to talk about me, and why I'm sick. I want to get better.

Finally, after a while of listening to him ramble on & give advice which I did not appreciate, nor want to hear, I got him to the point of just listening. That is where I wanted him, just listening to me bring up old memories.

This stuff inside me isn't exactly repressed, it's right there, almost on the surface and I'm still really angry about it.

My mother and stepfather were super critical pieces of work. I no longer hate them like I did, but that has taken a long long time. And lots of years of not talking to each other. My step-father is now dead and my mother is pretty delicate & much much nicer to me. So I forgive them/her but she's actually too delicate to listen to what happened, nor would she deal/could she emotionally deal, and I know this from past experience.

I started thinking about how I was made to clean the bathroom weekly. And how they were constantly critical. And how it hurt me, deeply. They were always critical of me, never positive. I never could do anything right in their eyes. I was always to be corrected, criticized. Never anything positive, never told I love you, you're doing a good/great job. Plus I was paid really really low wages, even for that time, lower than anyone I knew. They were more than frugal, they were cheap. And I was to buy everything I wanted for myself - movies, etc. So the low wages were kind of awful. I later took to stealing money out of my step-father's wallet that he never missed, and I stole $20's btw.

I'm not proud of stealing, but the fact that they never missed the money sort of says something.

But that's another post (about me stealing).

And we were not poor, we were solidly middle class. I know, these are big resentments, big anger. Agree. But I want to get back to me and what happened in that bathroom.

I got to the point where I'd close the doors to the bathroom and fall asleep in there. All day. Initially I tried to clean it up fast and go out and play outside, which is all I wanted to do. Well this really put a cramp in me going outside to play. It was traumatizing me, because I was a kid, and I was expected to be perfect in doing this. My step-father was the culprit here in this scenario. He would take his finger and say "it's dusty", "it's not good enough", etc.

That and the fact of the low-wages, the never-ending criticism, the bathroom, I hated cleaning it. I was really angry. And they would never listen to me anyway, about anything. I'm angry right now just thinking about it.

So when I finally got my husband to actually listen last night without judgement, without saying anything, I remembered the work I did when John Bradshaw was on PBS. I imagined myself there. I took my DH's hand and said a bunch of really good things to my child-self, like "we love you, we are here for you, you did a GREAT job cleaning, you can go out and play, don't worry, you'll get through it, it will all be worth it, and I'll cook you great meals, just hang in there, you are loved, you are beautiful". All the things I didn't get as a child.

And I had tears.

But on day 3 - today, I got out of bed, and my PF was kind of high since my feet hurt.

More work to be done.

nowtimecoach likes this.
  2. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Ruth, it doesn't sound like you're getting much support from your DH regarding TMS.
    And if you spent so much time on it before bedtime, you weren't in a very relaxed state for sleep.
    I think it's best to spend an hour or two on becoming peaceful and calm, perhaps through meditation.
    It may not be easy or possible in your home situation. Maybe do the best you an.

Your past seems to need forgiveness. Especially forgive yourself. You were only a child and
    you were expected to be perfect. But those who expected that of you were not perfect themselves.

nowtimecoach likes this.
  3. Ruth_L

Ruth_L Peer Supporter

Right now in the afternoon on Day 3, I noticed that my feet were without pain !!

It was wonderful!
    I feel that I am getting better!!
    Just talked to my DH just now about it, and he listened & did not say anything, exactly like we talked about last night. I need to do this work, and work through this, bring up stuff, and having him there, just listening to me was fantastic.

While talking to him, I realized these are layers. The top-most layer is healing from PF. That is the most painful, or was the most painful ailment.

I need to work on my other issues, bubbling underneath the surface is my Binge-Eating Disorder.
    In a lot of ways, this process is like learning lots of new languages at the same time, which btw I am doing on http://www.duolingo.com (if you join, it's free, send me a note here with your user name if you like & I'll friend you there too).

I am learning German, Spanish, Italian & French. My #1 language is German, which is a lot like PF as a matter of fact! LOL, it's really really difficult and hard to do. But I persist, which is what I'm doing with PF & my other issues, I am persisting. I am working this program, I am working hard on this. I am bringing up underneath issues that have been sitting there for decades.

So, PF is receding! This is wonderful! I am no longer in that really intense pain. Yesterday I went for a walk to Walgreens to pick up my prescription (for ulcers, I am working on that too btw). It took 2 hours. My feet were fine for the most part. That was amazing, miraculous, and shows how Dr. Sarno's program is working for me. It is so wonderful.

I feel blessed.

nowtimecoach likes this.
  4. Ruth_L

Ruth_L Peer Supporter

TY for that Walt. Wonderful words. TY. Blessings.

nowtimecoach likes this.
  5. Ruth_L

Ruth_L Peer Supporter

I am feeling happy and energized at the moment. I'm not pain-free but it is much much less, much more reduced. I am able to feel energized! It feels great. I feel super happy!

Blessings.

6. Ruth_L

Ruth_L Peer Supporter

7. Eric "Herbie" Watson

Eric "Herbie" Watson Beloved Grand Eagle

This is very good imaging Ruth_L. Just stay course and get very good at this imaging
    and forgiveness and also the way you ease up on the inner child- that's awesome, really good.
    Then add to it (eventually )_ emotions that can be calmed and soothed as well.
    Thank You

nowtimecoach and Ruth_L like this.
  8. Eric "Herbie" Watson

Eric "Herbie" Watson Beloved Grand Eagle

nowtimecoach and Ruth_L like this.