1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Day 19 day 19

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by nowtimecoach, Oct 30, 2013.

1. nowtimecoach

nowtimecoach Well known member

Things I'm proud of!! Well this is a good positive topic to start the day off with.
    I'm proud that I am sticking with this program and getting better everyday.
    I started a running program yesterday and when the pain kicked up for every running interval I was able to say, "There is nothing structural that is causing this pain. I can keep running." The pain dissipates as I run.
    I'm proud that every night I am spending time doing self-talk and preparing myself for the next day to be pain free.
    I'm proud that even though I have pain, I am becoming more and more aware of thinking psychologically so there is less attachment to the pain. AND I know that I've got TMS on the run.
    I'm proud that the personality traits listed in this wiki have opened doors of awareness about who I think I am and what I do and how it relates to back pain. The traits are still there but my awareness of when I'm acting them out is increasing and I am naturally making different choices.

2. Forest

Forest Beloved Grand Eagle

Look at the progress you are making :). Being able to tell yourself the symptoms are benign and have the pain dissipate while you run is terrific. It is small victories like these that increase your confidence overtime and lead you your recovery. Having this positive mindset and feeling good about what you are doing will go a long way to helping you recovery.

Other than working through the program are there any other books you are reading?

3. nowtimecoach

Thanks Forest. I just finished Fred Amir's book on Rapid Recovery and using some of his tools also. Just ordered Divided Mind. I find if I keep my head in books, this forum - I have a better chance of staying on the psychological path rather than the worry and hopelessness I felt before reading Sarno's books.
    So grateful to all of you who keep this forum going!

4. Forest

Forest Beloved Grand Eagle

I read Rapid Recovery as well when I first started out. It is a great book, and I always loved the exercises he has in it. I also can't speak highly enough of the Divided Mind or any other Dr. Sarno book. My favorite is Healing Back Pain, but DM is terrific and will be very helpful to you. Just keep in mind that you do not need to read every single book out there. It may sound odd but rereading the same book over and over again can be more helpful than reading book after book after book.

When a person reads tons of books there is a chance they are looking outside themselves to heal. They expect the new book to heal them. This does not happen. TMS healing begins and ends with you. The book is there to educate you and help you along your way, but it is up to you to put the information to work. It doesn't sound like this is happening to you, but it is something to keep in mind.

5. nowtimecoach

Thanks for the tip. I recognized that I was doing that when I started feeling "pressure" about reading everything I could get my hands on. It was serving as a distraction from being in the moment and working with the tension that already exists without more pressure to get better NOW. FASTER. A member has mentioned more than one time, that the word "rapid" does not apply to all of us - and that the real healing (for me) is to keep the awareness channels open. I will reread Sarno's book though, based on your suggestion. Thanks again!