1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

day 17 journaling most helpful

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by zenyatta20, Mar 8, 2020.

1. zenyatta20

zenyatta20 New Member

Day 17 the thing that is most helpful to me is journaling -However when i journal my TMS immediately flairs badly. I wake up fine. I journal in the morning and the symptoms flair as I write. I am taking this to mean that I am uncovering deep emotions. I also listen to pain free you youtube videos when I exercise and Nicole Sachs podcast when I drive or walk. I am reading about how to refocus my mind onto things away from overthinking and worry.

Aimee88 and JanAtheCPA like this.
  2. JanAtheCPA

JanAtheCPA Beloved Grand Eagle

I learned the value of journaling when I did the SEP in 2011 - but after that, I would only get out the pen and paper when I was having a setback and got really desperate. Even though I'd read Nicole's book, and have been listening to her podcasts for many months, I still couldn't make it a regular habit for a long time. But by listening to her podcast every week, I was finally convinced to make it a daily habit, and I have to say that even though the times are hard and stressful, my state of mind and body are both hugely improved over the months prior.

I write at night, which I think clears my mind for better sleep. I do free-writing, just scribbling stream-of-conciousness stuff onto crappy notepaper, which I recycle when it's full. I have also added the habit of finding at least one thing to write down for which I am grateful - big or small, I don't think it matters. It turns out that it's not at all hard to do, and whatever it is, it always makes me smile. That's a good way to end the day!

3. Aimee88

Aimee88 Well known member

Journaling has really helped, is really helping me, too. These days they go straight to the shredder, and I am so much more honest with myself. This morning I got to a really interesting place--I wrote out a conversation as a little girl getting the reassurance and soothing she always wanted from her father. So much came up and out. I've been reading about re-parenting ourselves, and learning how to feel and process feelings. Love the journaling.