1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Steve2 as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Day 10 and triggers

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by Jona, Jan 5, 2013.

1. Jona

Jona New Member

I'm sure I am not the only one whose symptoms grow worse at night in bed and while sleeping. I have also noticed that since I began journaling I have been having many lucid dreams involving deep emotions with people that have caused or do (can) cause me emotional pain. It has brought me some great reflection into my repressed emotions and the reasons behind them. Hence, I am now considering that maybe this bed time pain trigger (and possibly associated insomnia) is a result of my unconscious mind trying to avoid me from having these types of dreams that can spill out repressed emotions from my unconscious and into my conscious mind, through dreaming? (letting the cat out of the bag so to speak)

Has this been discussed by any TMS processionals in an article? Have others noticed this connection or am I off the mark here?

Now that I am aware, I am curious to see if my night time pain decrease over the next few weeks as my unconscious mind absorbs my new found awareness? I have not needed an alarm clock for as long as I can recall- mainly because I wake up 50 times per night to look at the clock. Will I now sleep more soundly as well?

Jilly likes this.
  2. veronica73

veronica73 Well known member

I just got Dr. Alexander's (who posts on here sometimes) book and he has a section about dreaming. I'm looking forward to reading it because I sometimes get repetitive stress dreams.

Jona likes this.
  3. Leslie

Leslie Well known member

Jona
    I'm so glad you brought up the topic of dreams. Since I started this education program I too have noticed changes in my dreams. I can't seem to remember much of them for more than a few seconds when I wake from one. What I have noticed is that they cause me to wake up during the night (or in the morning) feeling anxious and some times guilty. I've also noticed that they seem to contain bizarre situations, often with people I haven't thought of in months or even years. I was told by several mental health professionals to be prepared for the likelihood that the pain (emotional or physical) may get worse before it gets better as we deal with issues. I'm hopeful that these wild dreams are part of that and they, like the pain, will ease up in time. I'm hopeful that is also the case for you.
    Leslie

Jona likes this.
  4. Jona

Jona New Member

I actually have been finding these dreams as cathartic with many eureka moments.

5. Stella

Stella Well known member

Yes, i found the pain got worse but just thought "wow, it must be working". It was. I had a lot of electrical stuff flowing around my arms and legs and lots of tingling in my hands and feet. I told one trusted friend that wouldn't think i was going crazy... about this weird electrical current flowing around my body... very cool but very weird.