1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with JanAtheCPA as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Day 1

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by JoshB, Nov 13, 2012.

1. JoshB

JoshB New Member

Hey all,

I started reading Dr. Sarno's book about 10 days ago. I flew threw it finishing it in about 3 days. As many others I saw myself on a lot of the pages.

My story started last year during a spring semester at school. I already have a business degree but was attending community college taking construction. I got exempt from a few classes but in the spring that was not the case. I wasn't used to the condensed work load, while working on top of it. I got very stressed out in my shoulders and thought nothing of it at first. Was almost stuck in fight or flight, for the fallowing two weeks finishing up. I made it through school, but the shoulders remained tight. I didn't understand what was going on with my body.

I started working my usual summer job as a student, I drove a truck for a charitable organization. But the shoulder tightness remained. Over the text two weeks I got to have the worst back pain I have experienced. I ended up slowly having to quit my job by the middle of the summer. Sitting around on the couch watching olympic games. At first i tried to tough it out, i tried to stay away from physio. I finally caved, went a few times and didn't really feel any better. the rest of the summer I took it easy trying to "heal" my back pain.

Come september I was very fearful to start school again. Im 23 with all these career aspirations and I can't even sit down without being in pain. This thought along with the pain got conditioned into my head. I needed some kind of relief and turned to mediation reading a few books. This dead help somewhat but wasn't getting to the root of the problem. I figured out that back pain must be physiological induced by stressed. At this point i still did not read sarno's book, i felt as if I had no control over the situation.

I read an article online about the book and read it right away. I was skeptical on his theories at first. But last week I was able to do things without the majority of my pain that i never thought possible. Although over the weekend it did get worse again, i did not start a formalized program or continue to read throughout the week.

So here I am believing in these theories knowing these symptoms are just way for my body to distract myself from feeling the true emotions. I know believe I am one step closer to being a success story and regaining my life.

Josh

2. honeybear424

honeybear424 Well known member

Welcome to the forum, Josh! :)

3. ashcatash

ashcatash New Member

Good luck, Josh! Maybe we can get through this together!!

4. Stella

Stella Well known member

It is a pretty amazing program. You can do it.

5. tarala

tarala Well known member

Hi Josh,

Welcome to the forum-- it's a fantastic place to get help.