1. To receive notices when new "Overcoming TMS" days are posted, just sign up at this link. To view the days that have already been posted, click here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (NY) time. It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support. BruceMC will host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Day 1

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by JoshB, Nov 13, 2012.

1. JoshB

JoshB New Member

Hey all,

I started reading Dr. Sarno's book about 10 days ago. I flew threw it finishing it in about 3 days. As many others I saw myself on a lot of the pages.

My story started last year during a spring semester at school. I already have a business degree but was attending community college taking construction. I got exempt from a few classes but in the spring that was not the case. I wasn't used to the condensed work load, while working on top of it. I got very stressed out in my shoulders and thought nothing of it at first. Was almost stuck in fight or flight, for the fallowing two weeks finishing up. I made it through school, but the shoulders remained tight. I didn't understand what was going on with my body.

I started working my usual summer job as a student, I drove a truck for a charitable organization. But the shoulder tightness remained. Over the text two weeks I got to have the worst back pain I have experienced. I ended up slowly having to quit my job by the middle of the summer. Sitting around on the couch watching olympic games. At first i tried to tough it out, i tried to stay away from physio. I finally caved, went a few times and didn't really feel any better. the rest of the summer I took it easy trying to "heal" my back pain.

Come september I was very fearful to start school again. Im 23 with all these career aspirations and I can't even sit down without being in pain. This thought along with the pain got conditioned into my head. I needed some kind of relief and turned to mediation reading a few books. This dead help somewhat but wasn't getting to the root of the problem. I figured out that back pain must be physiological induced by stressed. At this point i still did not read sarno's book, i felt as if I had no control over the situation.

I read an article online about the book and read it right away. I was skeptical on his theories at first. But last week I was able to do things without the majority of my pain that i never thought possible. Although over the weekend it did get worse again, i did not start a formalized program or continue to read throughout the week.

So here I am believing in these theories knowing these symptoms are just way for my body to distract myself from feeling the true emotions. I know believe I am one step closer to being a success story and regaining my life.

Josh

2. honeybear424

honeybear424 Well known member

Welcome to the forum, Josh! :)

3. ashcatash

ashcatash New Member

Good luck, Josh! Maybe we can get through this together!!

4. Stella

Stella Well known member

It is a pretty amazing program. You can do it.

5. tarala

tarala Well known member

Hi Josh,

Welcome to the forum-- it's a fantastic place to get help.