1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with JanAtheCPA as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Day 1 day 1

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by DaveNY1, Nov 7, 2013.

1. DaveNY1

DaveNY1 New Member

Just being on this site for a couple weeks has already helped me a lot with decreasing some of my pain and i hope that i have the confidence in myself to Know that it will all work out. i think the biggest thing for me is the fear. i know im afraid of the pain and i need to work on that. im also afraid to ignore the pain, i don't know why but i am.. i also have compulsions to crack my back and stretch because i think it feels good but its becoming like OCD. i know i need to stop that but my body and mind make me think that its good to do that, although i really know its not. im probably use to where the pain is and i think i can tame it and probably let it stay there, because im afraid of it moving around to my ribs or other areas of my back back where it can become more uncontrollable. im also worried that what if this program doesn't work. Will i have pain forever?. These are thoughts that pop up in my head.

im 35 and I know that i have TMS as it has been with me since i was a freshman in college. At the time i did not know about TMS, but it was at that time that my cycle of daily pains started. ive had daily pains from that time on with many different body parts until now. numerous MRIS, Scopes, and evaluations with mostly nothing to be found. At any given time i have had shoulder pain ,back pain,stomach pain, wrist pain, leg pain, burning with urination, sensitive teeth and itching all over. it sounds funny when i write about because i know that its not due to anything but there is probably something that is holding me back. i guess fear is the biggest one, negativity, lack of confidence and other things that im going to learn while going through this program. i went to see Dr Ira Rashbaum in NYU like 7 years ago and he told me i had tms. At that time i guess i needed more then a Drs diagnosis so it did not help. The back pain transitioned into all the other different problems i mentioned above. At my best i would have minor shoulder pain, leg pain, colds and itching, but would have extreme fear of those getting worse. That all changed when i lifted someone and my dailly back pain started again. so its been about 2.5 years of daily back pain. i went to Dr ira Rashbaum recently again and worked through Dr Harold Schubiners online program as well. They were both great and informative but for some reason only helped me minimally. So luckily i found this site and im finally ready and willing to do whatever it takes to win and beat this thing. I have read the many pages on this site so far and they have been extremely helpful and helped decrease some pain. Im looking forward to completing this program and taking my life back.

2. aa3405

aa3405 Peer Supporter

Hi Dave. I wish you the best of luck on this journey of recognition of the source of the pain and eventual recovery. I am on day 6 today of the structured program. I have definitely seen improvement in one of my symptoms, but still have several that have not changed. I know it is all psychological, because I have had numerous diagnostic tests done over the years and have seen many physicians as well without any change in my condition. I am hopeful that this program will help. The website is great for the support you will receive. You might also consider joining the discussion group on Tuesday evenings. AA

3. DaveNY1

DaveNY1 New Member

Thanks AA i will check that out. Everyone on here seems great and very helpful as well.

4. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi, DaveNY1. You're doing fine. The SED program is an excellent way to be pain-free. Some people heal faster than others, some find relief from different TMS healing techniques than others. Stick with the program. I too think you can benefit from joining the call-ins on Tuesday nights. If you can't, a video is posted a day or two later that you can watch. Next Tuesday Nov, 12 is on
    chapter 14 of Steve Ozanich's book, The Great Pain Deception, "What You Need to Understand to Heal." It's a great chapter about TMS.
    I wrote a summary of it at:

http://www.tmswiki.org/forum/thread...-14-what-you-need-to-understand-to-heal.3018/

Good luck and let us know how you're doing.

Also, don't forget to LAUGH. I find it to be one of the best ways to forget pain and to enjoy life.

5. DaveNY1

DaveNY1 New Member

Thank you Walt i really appreciate your support. im going to follow through and try the call ins in next couple of weeks. I will remember to laugh as well and enjoy life. :)
    thanks

6. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Hi. Dave.
    Glad you will try to join the call-ins. A lot of people are finding them helpful.

I think we benefit from hearing other people tell about their symptoms and how they're
    working on becoming free of pain. We're all different, some heal faster than others,
    some find one healing technique better for them than others.

The SEP program has helped a lot of people. It may seem long, but you'll get through it.
    And if you don't feel like following it one or two days, take the days off.

Be happy.

7. Stella

Stella Well known member

Hi Dave,
    On this site Dr. Alan Gordon writes about building an evidence sheet. This may be helpful to you in convincing yourself on that last 1% that yOu have TMS.

Also post telling us you know you have TMS.

I was 100% convinced i had TMS on almost almost all my aches and pains. i have very painful bumps on my heels requiring various shoes adjustments.i have cut Vs out of the back of my shoes so i can walk. The bumps have been red and swollen.. i knew they were TMS but have had just a little bit of doubt. i put a pillow at night under my ankles.... lots of accomodations. So i needed new tennis shoes. Do i cut the backs out? i decided Noooooooooo. Guess what... no pain ..... but a little when the alarm bell goes off in my mind periodically.

you can do it

8. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Steve Ozanich says we need to believe 100 percent that our symptoms are TMS. 99 percent isn't enough.
    He says, "All or nothing." You're almost there.

9. aa3405

aa3405 Peer Supporter

That makes sense. I notice more often now that my GI symptoms occur during times when I haven't even eaten anything. I don't understand why I notice that it's worse after eating something with onions. Is that the same way that some people feel their back pain is worse with activity? So, I should eat things that I normally feel set off my symptoms and admit to myself that all my symptoms are TMS related. Thanks Walt.

Eric "Herbie" Watson likes this.
  10. Eric "Herbie" Watson

Eric "Herbie" Watson Beloved Grand Eagle

That's exactly right aa3405
    I remember for years if I would eat a bananas which I loved I would have a hurting stomach. or if id drink milk then id have a hurting stomach because the Drs said I had intolerance to milk. I remember when I was younger how id drink all the milk I wanted to but when this lactose intolerance thing came in - well I got it. Then after I learned tms healing I stopped worrying about these things and the symptoms went away.

11. Andy Bayliss

Andy Bayliss TMS Coach & Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi Dave,
    Reading your post it seems like something deep down in you has made a decision. BRAVO!! I'm sending every good wish that this inner strength grows and reveals itself to you, in ways you never imagined.

12. DaveNY1

DaveNY1 New Member

I really love all you guys. i feel like i have a bunch of new friends who have my back and are going through this journey with me. I know i have Tms and i know that i have nothing to fear or worry about. I believe in myself and i love myself and i know all will be good.

Stella likes this.