1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Steve2 as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Day 1

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by hoolie, Aug 26, 2013.

1. hoolie

hoolie Peer Supporter

Hi all...I'm new to this and hoping for great things. I am a physical therapist, so this is a bit hard for me to grasp... But I heard about Sarno from another PT. I hurt my back 3 months ago lifting my 4 year old and finally, after 3 months, found out that I have a herniated disc. I fit the "profile " of TMS, however- totally my personality, a stressful couple of years "coping" really well... So much makes sense. My hesitation is, besides being a PT and believing in it, is not being able to get past the fact that I have a "structural" problem - a herniated disc. Can this still really be TMS? I'm hoping for the best. I want my life back.

2. Stella

Stella Well known member

Hi Hoolie,
    My physical therapist suggested I read The Divided Mind. I am so thankful she did. She changed my life forever. I was seeing her for bladder pain and pelvic pain. She and I have started a support group. She suggests to some of her patients to attend. Some are open to it...some are not. We get other participants from the internet.

I have Scoliosis with disc degeneration, bone spurs and bulging disc. I have no back pain now.

Welcome...You are going on an amazing journey.

3. hoolie

hoolie Peer Supporter

Thanks Stella- sort of wondering if we went to the same PT- she runs a support group, does women's health.....?

4. Stella

Stella Well known member

Hi Hoolie,
    This is in Kansas City.

5. hoolie

hoolie Peer Supporter

Yep! That's the one!

6. Lori

Lori Well known member

I have herniated discs, in fact, was told one was very large. I do not have pain any longer (after reading Dr. Sarno's books and a lot of work).

keep in mind that Dr. Sarno would also say that your back was not hurt when you picked up your little cutie, but it was an incident on which the pain could be blamed. Picking up children is a normal way of life!

I would suggest reading one of Dr. Sarno's book, then read it again. It takes time for this new info to sink in. But there is definitely hope!