1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Day 1

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by DMAC100, Mar 26, 2020.

1. DMAC100

DMAC100 Newcomer

I have believed in TMS on and off for 9 months however it was 3 months ago that I fully believed that this would work for me. I was stubborn and was trying to improve without sharing my progress with anyone. Also I was a little embarrassed that after surgery, injections, MRI's and hours of physical therapy and chiropractic sessions I was now finding success in a book from Dr Sarno. I mean how am I meant to explain this to people when it took me years of chronic pain to even consider it.

My back pain has improved about 80% however the pain moved to my knee. This pain has irritated me more than the back pain as after complaining for years about back pain I felt I could not start telling people I cannot do things because my knee was now in pain especially since I hadn't exactly been active to injure my knee. Looking back there has always been some form of injury I have had. I am 35 and from 20 years old I have been known as Davie the promising footballer (soccer to some) who was unfortunate with injuries. The injuries became part of my story or I became them. Now after so long I just feel embarrassed that I have become that person who is always in pain

I have joined the form and I am following the structured program because I have not progressed in the past month. I have never been on a forum before and I hope now opening up about believing in TMS will help me. My back has improved about 80% however sometimes I have days that are worse than others and mentally this impacts me just as badly as when my back was at its worst. I need to keep motivated but over time this is hard. I feel like I now have a new energy stepping in to do this and a new focus. Also writing this has helped me realise just how far I have come and that I have made progress as I am not in as much pain as I previously was I watched the Sarno 20/20 program again today and I remember the pain I was in the first time I watched in 9 months ago and the doubt I had, this has changed remarkably and I need to focus on this. Unfortunately I do find it difficult to cope with the combination of both knee and back pain at the same time, especially as the pain moves around. It has been in three different locations on my knee.

Anyway I look forward to doing this program and to sharing my progress.

2. Baseball65

Baseball65 Beloved Grand Eagle

Funny how the same we all are.
    I saw the Sarno 'clips' on TV 3 times or so and thought "Yeah... but my pain is REAL" . My downstairs neighbor who was a full on stud playing tackle football with no pads in his 40's, first offered me the book; "Yeah... but my pain is real"

.... We all failed to respond the first time, and the fourth. Only dire necessity drives someone here.

Right after I went back to work 100% healed from reading "Healing Back Pain", I was climbing up into a lift and my knee just buckled. It was painful and embarrassing...and I laughed so hard (being warned by the books) that the dudes around me probably thought I was drunk. The knee pain went away fast... days? Whenever I get a mini-relapse (warning shot) it is often leg/shoulder/hand/jaw. Just means it's time to read again and write and reflect... no big deal. It always goes away...fast.
    Couple of months ago I was moving a house with my Brother.(who does NOT believe Sarno and treasures his back pain). He asked me "Where's your back brace... I need to borrow it". I reminded him that I haven't owned one OR been in pain for 20 YEARS! He ignored me and continues to, to this day. If His little brother was right it would delete his whole STORY about me. Sarno warned us about well meaning people being solicitous. I just ignore them and say "Blah,blah,blah" in my head until they are done warning me, complaining, whatever. But yeah, all of us have told our story in context of our perceived injury. Eckhart Tolle talks about that too. "I am (blank) the Pain sufferer, I am (blank) the guy with a back problem"... Almost implying were victims...God dealt us a bad hand

keep checking in...love to hear youngsters still getting better. I am 54 playing on a ball team with 20something year olds (ego,ego,ego)

peace

ssxl4000 likes this.
  3. ssxl4000

ssxl4000 Well known member

Howdy...three days after I first started feeling better from my original symptoms, I tweaked my back moving a mattress. It was the most minor twinge ever, yet my back ached painfully for the next week. The pain came and went annoyingly, but eventually vanished. These symptom substitutions are annoying and sometimes distressing, but they are part of the recovery. If your back feels 80% better then you are doing a great job! Keep up the good work!

4. DMAC100

DMAC100 Newcomer

Thank you so much for your reply. I cannot describe how much it helps to hear of someone in a similar scenario who has healed as this has given me tremendous motivation.

I am going to stick with the programme.

Thanks

Baseball65 likes this.
  5. DMAC100

DMAC100 Newcomer

Thanks for taking the time to reply. You make a good point 80% recovery does mean I am doing great job. I would have dreamed of 80% better a year ago. It is a positive on the road to full recovery.

Thanks