1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Day 1

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by didi sharp, Oct 9, 2019.

1. didi sharp

didi sharp New Member

Day 1. I had chronic back episodes from when I was a young teenager until my early 50's when I read Dr. Sarno's book. My back would periodically "go out" and it would take days to recover. I remember vividly that a doctor told me when I was young that I would have back issues for my whole life because I was tall. I was 5'9" tall. I completely internalized that I think. Then at 50 years old I read Dr. Sarno's book and since that time I have not had my back "go out." About that time there began a 3 year period of fear and harassment from a mentally ill neighbor. After 3 court appearances the judge finally granted us a permanent restraining order. During this time I got quite sick, extremely fatigued, weird and scary body sensations and I also began having panic attacks. I had never had a panic attack and when I would describe the sensations to my doctor she just looked at me with a black stare. No idea. I also at this time had intermittent gastro intestinal issues. Also I started to have pain in my right leg after walking awhile. I also had a blasting pain in my butt which I thought was sciatica. I had to sleep sitting up it was so painful. I initially went to an orthopedic doctor who thought I had bursitis so I got an MRI. Nope, no bursitis. As many of you have experienced, it was one doctor, acupuncturist, naturopath, etc. after another. This has gone on for over 20 years and the situation has very gradually gotten worse. I finally had an MRI on my lower back. The osteopath I was seeing at the time said he could find nothing on the MRI to explain my symptoms. Finally my primary doctor sent me to a neurologist who eventually diagnosed me with spinal stenosis. At this point I've had several cortisone shoots which helped marginally. For all these years I have not been able to walk very long, stand very long or sit very long. As you can imagine it changed my life. For awhile now I have accepted this diagnosis, the tingling in my feet and lower legs. I guess it just felt good to finally have someone tell me what the hell was going on with me. Then the other day I read something on line from a doctor that was talking about TMS and the brain neuropathways. I think his name was Schubiner (not sure of that) but he said at the end "The reign of pain lies mainly in the brain." So it got me to thinking. Just when I had read Dr. Sarno's book and no longer had the back episodes I got all this other stuff. And I read on the forum the many people have spinal stenosis and it's just like gray hair or wrinkles (aging), but causes no pain. So I'm trying to figure it out. If anyone knows of anyone in Seattle who works with this I'd appreciate any information. Giving it a shot. The 20 minute video of the doctor I watched the other day basically described me to a T.

2. Sammie

Sammie Peer Supporter

Hi didi sharp I was diagnosed by Howard Schubiner. I have MBS\TMS. Great doctor! Go on line and check it out, there is probably someone close to you you could contact through email. That’s how I did it. Had to answer lots of questions and fill out some paper work. He looked at all my MRI’S, CT scans, X-ray, etc, and then agreed to see me. You have to fit the MBS\TMS criteria... I think? Check out Howard Schubiner’s book, Unlearn Your Pain, all kinds of doctors in the back of the book! Plus great reading!

Hope this is helpful.

3. didi sharp

didi sharp New Member

Thank you. I ordered that book.

Sammie likes this.
  4. Sammie

Sammie Peer Supporter

Great, I hope it is helpful to you!