1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Steve2 as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Day 1

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by JulieS718, Jun 10, 2019.

1. JulieS718

JulieS718 Newcomer

Hi. I am posted as my day 1 assignment and as I was walking into my room to write this I had a severe back pain which made me question if this is in fact TMS. I want it to be so I could finally have some hope that this May ever get better. My have been struggling w back and hip pain for 4 years on and off. It started w a full on horrible spasm 4 years ago which went away. I was always active and would work out every day. When my back went out I changed my work outs to make them lighter and stopped cycling all together bc I was sure that was the problem. One year later my back went out again (both times I was not exercising when it happened). After this I was petrified and I got an MRI which shows a degenerative disc. The Dr said to get PT so I did. It got better again but I revised my workouts even more and got many different trainers but I was always so scared it would happen again. Last June it happens again but differently. This time, my hips became sore and weak (more like my outer gluts). The front of both my legs were weak and numb and my lower left side of my back was in agony. I thought it would go away like last time but it stayed. And has continued to hurt for a year now with not even a day of pain free-ness. I have become obsessed w the pain. I have gotten more MRIs. Been to 8 months of PT. Have had trigger point shots in my lower back and coccyx, an epidural, a facet injection and a hip injection. I’m still in pain. I just read the Sarno book and I felt like I found my answer. For 2 days I felt improved since I read it but today seemed like I am going backwards. Is this normal? I hope so and I pray this works! In all in!

2. Andy Bayliss

Andy Bayliss TMS Coach & Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi JulieS718,

Welcome to the Forum and Wiki,

Yes, it seems you're in the right place. You've had lots of treatments and they didn't work. The symptoms have gotten worse over time as you tried to fix them. The pain reduced after reading Sarno. Right there are three items which support a TMS diagnosis.

Good luck in your work, and don't worry about setbacks. Read success stories, even if they don't fit your exact symptoms. The symptoms vary, but the cause and the cure is the same. You're on your way!!

Andy B

3. ssxl4000

ssxl4000 Well known member

Hi Julie. Yes, up and down pain once learning about TMS is normal. I felt completely cured the day after I first read about it. That lasted for two days, then my brain started cycling about ten different symptoms in and out. They generally were not severe, but very annoying, and they lasted for several weeks. Some still come-and-go. It's a good sign actually that reinforces that the pain is caused by your brain.

Also, the fact that the pain flared as you were going to write your post is probably a good sign too. I felt symptoms a few times before journaling. Your mind knows you are about to explore some emotions, so it wants to misdirect you. One thing to remember that may be helpful. If you are doubting, focus on the lack of logic or consistency with symptoms. For example, pain that comes and goes quickly makes no physical sense like Dr. Sarno always said. Also, pain brought on by silly things like sitting, preparing to journal, doing very light activity, etc. These are all signs of TMS as opposed to a real injury.

4. JulieS718

JulieS718 Newcomer

Thank you so much!