1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Day 1

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by suzanne straub, Apr 18, 2013.

1. suzanne straub

suzanne straub New Member

I am a 50 yo female. I was dx with Interstitial Cystits in 2009. I got a UTI that never left! I've been to many MD had many treatments without improvement. I stumbled on TMS by accident. This is the first time I've had hope that I will be rid of this pain in years. I've been reading Schubiner's book, Unlearn Your Pain. He focuses on past childhood events, but I think my sx are brought on by events in my adult life. I served 20 years in the military and have a stressful job three kids ect. I think TMS makes sense. My sx are always worse in certain situations,mostly work. Well thanks for reading!

2. EricMd

EricMd Peer Supporter

Welcome. Hope is a wonderful thing. I have had TMS symptoms to some degree all my life but it wasn't until 3 years ago when my back pain came. None of the medications or physical treatments provided me with any lasting relief. My pain has improved since starting the program and I have become more confident and engaged in my life. I had a great day today despite having very stressfull day at work today. If it was not for the things I learned about myself doing the structured program, I think my back would have let me know by giving me pain. Welcome to the journey.

3. Stella

Stella Well known member

Hi Suzanne,
    I was diagnosed with IC about the time you were plus terrible pelvic pain, cramping in my abdomen and butt, myofascial pain, It band pain plus more. Last summer my wonderful physical therapist told me to read The Divided Mind. An $18.00 book changed my life forever.
    Yours will be too.

4. suzanne straub

suzanne straub New Member

Thanks Stella!
    I actually heard about TMS on the ICN forum! Someone posted about it, and got railed for suggesting that this might be a psychological response. I know this is the answer for me. I have a question, I've been doing pelvic floor PT for sometime now, should I still go to that or does that hinder the healing process. I do feel like I hold a lot of stress in my pelvic floor and have to constantly remind myself to relax it. Thanks again for responding to me. Seems like most people on here have back pain, it is encouraging to hear from someone with pelvic pain!
    Suzanne

5. Stella

Stella Well known member

Hi Suzanne,
    Holding a lot of tension in your pelvic floor is TMS too. If her suggestions help it is a placebo effect. My physical therapist suggested I read Sarno then realizing that this was me i had to stop seeing her to work on my mind. She supported this. I would stop the therapy. Don't waste your time or money. Focus on the assignments here. Continue to educate yourself.

You will do great.