1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with JanAtheCPA as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Day 1

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by Shaunad23, May 7, 2018.

1. Shaunad23

Shaunad23 Newcomer

Hello - I have just started working through the Structured Education Program and am new to the concept of TMS and recovery from symptoms caused by emotional struggles and pain.

I actually just went through surgery and am recovering and had what I would describe as an Aha moment the other day when some symptoms that I was hoping would be resolved by this second surgery came flooding back with avengence. The surgery was a mesh plug removal surgery. I had the original surgery to repair an inguinal hernia back in August of 2016. In short the mesh was wadded up and very uncomfortable as I could feel it at the surface of my skin and with basically any movement. I also have nerve damage from the first surgery. Up until yesterday I would have punched anyone who suggested that my bladder symptoms were not caused by this situation.

I primarily suffer from bladder symptoms - frequency, burning, pressure, spasms - which have been somewhat disabling for the past year. I continued working, but more or less isolated myself at my home anytime I did not have to be at work. I also went to extremes to control my diet after having more than one physician suggest IC. Prior to this whole bladder situation I suffered from a number of weirdo symptoms from chemical sensitivity to weird visual issues to dizziness for about 2 years, etc. I also have a history of nearly IBS like stomach issues since childhood.

I first became aware of the concept of TMS through my brother and his wife who have both overcome various health issues by realizing that they were suffering from it vs. major physical health issues. They both attempted to discuss TMS with me multiple times in the past but I only got angry and felt that they were being insensitive to my suffering and ultimately somewhat avoided them or any conversations about the matter. It was only about 2 days ago when as the pain from my abdominal surgery was subsiding and my bladder issues came back with avengence did I out of utter desperation decide to read the Sarno book that my brother gave me about 2 years ago. Realizing that the bladder issues were more or less gone when there was a replacement of abdominal pain to focus on. I read this book in one sitting and it has really opened my eyes and made me think back about the majority of my perceived health scares and issues and think wow! Dr. Sarno and Dr. Schubiner's personality profiles of the TMS type fit me to a T. I am a perfectionist (also having a history of anorexia), a people pleaser, I bottle up my emotions, I am a worrier, I am an obsessive researcher about health topics, etc etc. So here I now sit going WOW after reading some Sarno and Schubiner and trying both the self talk/yelling in my head method at my symptoms and trying my hand at journaling. Will this work?? I am also going through a separation/divorce after 3 years of a less than happy marriage - so yea - I definitely have some emotional turmoil in my mind.

Any advice out there from anyone who has had pelvic/bladder symptoms about how to combat focusing on them?? It is definitely tough to ignore very strong and urgent bladder sensations. Any help or advice is greatly appreciated! I very much hope anyone suffering similarly has found relief!

2. JillJill

JillJill New Member

Hi Shaunad! I am also at the beginning of my journey (Day 6). You may be interested to read Tim Park's book Teach Us to Sit Still. It's an entertaining and informative story of the authors own journey to pain relief (similar pain to your own). I am very nearly finished reading the book and taking the benefits of meditation very seriously now. Best wishes, Jill

3. Shaunad23

Shaunad23 Newcomer

Hi Jill - Thanks so much for sharing! I will definitely check out Tim Park's book. I am reading as much as I can about TMS/MBS and mindfulness and meditation right now. The more I read the more I can relate and am starting to believe that I can overcome this whole situation. I would suggest Jon Kabat-Zinn's book Full Catastrophe Living to you if you are finding the mindfulness/meditation is helping you - I am midway through and it is really helping me to shift my focus and mindset! Guided meditation like his body scan technique is also helping. Best to you, Shauna

4. JillJill

JillJill New Member

Thanks for the book suggestion! I'm going to order it today :) Best wishes, Jill