1. Our TMS drop-in chat is today (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM DST Eastern U.S.(New York). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support. JanAtheCPA is today's host. Click here for more info or just look for the red flag on the menu bar at 3pm Eastern.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Day 1

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by Megan C, Jan 19, 2016.

1. Megan C

Megan C Newcomer

I became aware of Dr. Sarno's only 3 days ago. I was trying to do some research on what might help my husband with his back and knee pain. I got Dr. Sarno's book on Saturday and read it in one sitting. The crazy part is, it describes me even better than my husband! I think anyone that knows me would say I'm anxious and perfectionistic. I've never had a moment of back pain in my life, but every other part seems to have hurt at one time or another. Never until recently did the pain significantly interfere with my life. My latest "running injury" is ITBS. I've rested it for many months and done countless hours of rehab exercises, but it will not go away. I finally gave up on running, and said that I didn't care, but I did. Before the ITBS, I had chronic achilles tendonitis and bursitis. There was a year of neck and shoulder pain that eventually went away. Not to mention a bunch of other ailments that seem to have no explanation or correlation, like eczema and allergies. Here's a question that I've been pondering? Can the pain sometimes start out as a real injury and then persist after the point at which you should have physically healed or am I thinking about this the wrong way?

What would a life without TMS mean to you? It would mean that I can do what I love, like running, hiking, and biking. It would mean that I'm not afraid all of the time, like what will happen if I go on that hike or something. Will I be miserable all day tomorrow? It will mean that I don't have to make the best of things.

2. Moppy

Moppy Peer Supporter

Hi megan c. I believe tms can start out as real injury but then pain persists long after recovery should have occurred. I guess this gives the mind a more plausible "cover". I have RSI in both arms and do believe it was a genuine injury to begin with, but years later...? I am not an expert though, far from it, and I'm really interested in what some of the others think about this.... All the best with the journey.

3. Megan C

Megan C Newcomer

Hi Moppy! Thanks for your reply. That is encouraging.

4. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi, Megan, you ask "Can the pain sometimes start out as a real injury and then persist after the point at which you should have physically healed or am I thinking about this the wrong way?" I'm not a doctor, but I do believe that if some pain from a real injury has not healed with proper medical care, then it was not caused by anything structural, it was caused by your emotions. The SEProgram will help you to discover those harmful emotions, especially through journaling. Good luck and try to increase your belief in TMS to 100 percent.