1. Our TMS drop-in chat is today (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM DST Eastern U.S.(New York). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support. JanAtheCPA is today's host. Click here for more info or just look for the red flag on the menu bar at 3pm Eastern.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Day 1

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by Anna1, Nov 26, 2012.

1. Anna1

Anna1 Peer Supporter

I'm so excited! Five weeks ago I discovered Sarno's books. Since 4 weeks I'm basically painfree. I started working out again, which I missed SO MUCH. So I'm very very happy. After 8 years of pain and being less and less and less active, and having lots of treatments I was having less pain, but totally afraid of moving.

I had pain in my ankles, knees, hips, buttocks, lower back, upper back, they would call it fibromyalgia. The symptoms started synchronically with my mother's illness. She was diagnosed with a bipolar disorder 9 years ago. Now my knee pain is still there (left knee, started 15 years ago) and my right hip hurts when I stretch. But that's all. Apart from that I feel fine! I work out 3 times a week now :)

So, that's my story in short.

Now I have started running since last week. It gives me quite some pain. The first time not too much, the second time a bit more, the third time (today) quite bad: in my hips.

Who else has this experience, any advice? I keep repeating the 12 principles and focus emotionally again an again. I must say, after last time the pain diminished within about two days. It was almost gone before I started running again today. Today was worse though.

So I signed up here and just started with day one of the education program. Loved the video. It gives so much hope, and I was really laughing about the brother (the doctor). So skeptical and stiff.

2. Stella

Stella Well known member

I got back today from visiting my Mother. I called her earlier this morning to see if she wanted to run some errands with me. She did. I didn't want to ask her but guilt, parent pleasing and being a perfect daughter all kicked in. I could feel my pain increasing. I was trying to be alert, focused and relaxed. I was doing my diaphragmatic breathing. My thoughts got all jumbled but I was conscious of the pain increasing related to my interaction with my Mother. I had to handle some financial issues for my parents which are usually always stressful to take care of. But I was aware that I can fly off the handle with a customer service person on one of these problems realizing this is not the issue or event I am angry about. I never would have described myself as having hostility and aggression but I do.

I have terrible shin splint problems while walking. On this site it talked about being distracted while doing the physical activity. I have 2 girlfriends I walk with which helps because we talk about everything. My shins hurt but I just ignore them and keep on moving. The distraction helps. I walk 4-5 miles each day. Of course, I am shouting all the time "go away, get out of here".

You will do great. You know it works and have already discovered some relief. Welcome to the TMSwiki.

Anna1 likes this.
  3. Anna1

Anna1 Peer Supporter

Thank you SandyRae... yes, mothers... tell me about it! ^^

And very encouraging to hear that you keep on running. I love that you shout :go away! I think I won't do that in the gym, but I definitely do the talking to my brain ;-) I might start laughing at it next time.

4. igloo

igloo New Member

Day 1 and you're already 'basically pain-free'. Sounds like a good start to me :)

good luck with rest of the programme!

Anna1 likes this.
  5. Stella

Stella Well known member

I see people walking around talking to themselves.... that's me. Sandy

Anna1 likes this.