1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Day 1 - too good to be true?

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by Cherylie, Oct 10, 2013.

1. Cherylie

Cherylie New Member

I've been tooling around the site for a few weeks, waiting for my ankle surgery to create the down time I need to focus on this BS of chronic pain.

Note - ankle surgery has no relationship to chronic pain. Ripped the tendon and had to be replaced.

I sat with my pain doc, asking, "Why do I have these symptoms? What is my diagnosis? Do I have some crazy-chick, diagnosis of exclusion, like fibromyalgia?"

"Why do my hands hurt so much? Why does a hangnail (yes, seriously a friggin' hangnail) hurt so disproportionately to the size and scope of injury, especially when it's healing? Oh, yeah - am I the only patient you have who gets so worked up about whatever it is that's causing pain?"

God love him. He immediately told me he doesn't HAVE any "crazy-chick, diagnosis of exclusion". Then he gently led me to the concept of TMS and how it might be able to answer some of my questions.

Here's what makes me believe there is power to these concepts: As we chatted further, Doc mentioned that, generally, fibromyalgia is the diagnosis of folks with my symptoms when they are manifested above and below the waist.

I said, "Oh, but I have legitimate problems with my low back. I have structural changes, calcium build-up." He gazed at me patiently.... "aaaah, yes, I see," I whispered to myself, as my mind immediately flashed to the very first time I ever had low back pain.

I was a kid, somewhere between 8 and 11 years old. I bent down to get something from the lowest drawer in the kitchen, and I sneezed. I was frozen - unable to straighten upright. That is the only time I remember my stepfather - who was a pedophile - touching me in a helping and healing way, rather than in a harmful way. He helped me straighten up and move to a chair.

I believe my child's inability to reconcile that conflict of good/evil solidified into low back pain lasting 40 years.

As these thoughts raced through my head and feelings raced through my heart, I KNEW I had finally discovered the truth, the core, the origin of my low back pain. I spoke none of this to my doctor. I kept it inside, marveling at the immediacy of the relief I felt, as I walked out of that office, leaving my low back pain behind.

So I know this method of treatment works, and I am expecting it will continue to help with the other aches and pains and mysteries my body presents to me.

2. Ellen

Ellen Beloved Grand Eagle

Cherylie,
    You have completely figured out the TMS thing with the above statement. Your life has changed for good now. There may be some ups and downs but you are clearly on the path of TMS healing.

Thanks for sharing your experience. I wish you the best....

hecate105 likes this.
  3. Eric "Herbie" Watson

Eric "Herbie" Watson Beloved Grand Eagle

You got it, and yes it will help you further with most any ill
    or injury, stress- You just keep learning and applying
    learn to love yourself and love life again

Don't fear any symptoms and never focus on any
    learn to think emotional any time you have a pain ok
    what could be causing this hangnail pain that's really
    been bothering me emotionally and so forth

Just keep learning your doing great....

Cherylie likes this.
  4. North Star

North Star Beloved Grand Eagle

Cherylie, you are SO on a great path! And how wonderful that you have a doc who is knowledgeable in TMS lest you be kept on the medical merry go round.

I draw encouragement from your post. I got that crazy chick fibro diagnosis...your description of that made me smile. And of course it is a diagnosis that I no longer lay claim to. Every ache and pain is from TMS. Period.

Anyway. Thanks so much for sharing.