1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Day 1 (Day 1) - TMS to treat acid reflux/GERD?

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by brodyr, Jan 8, 2014.

1. brodyr

brodyr New Member

Hello everyone,

My name is Brody and this is day 1 on TMS Recovery for me. I'm feeling hopeful that this will be able to help.

I've suffered from chronic acid reflux for 10 years and have not been able to address it. I've tried several different methodologies to fix it, but none have worked yet. I know that this program was designed people who have back pain, but a friend of mine told me that a relative of theirs was able to cure themselves of their reflux with this program. I'm really hoping it works! I'm a singer and this has prevented me from following my dream, so it's difficult to overstate the importance of me recovering from this condition.

Is there anyone out there who has heard of anyone trying this program to address reflux and/or GERD?

Good luck to you all.

Brody

2. Angelina B

Angelina B New Member

Hi Brody,
    I have been successful in the past with ridding myself of many pains caused by TMS, such as plantar fascitis, Achilles tendonitis, fibromyalgia, etc., but I have not been able to get rid of my GERD and it's been very discouraging, especially since after my 2nd endoscopy revealed that I have Barrett's Esophagus, which terrifies me. I see that you posted this 7 months ago - have you had any success since?

3. BCR

BCR New Member

I too hope to address this health problem which also can exacerbate asthma in addition to affecting esophageal tissues. I am in my last week of this SEP and have been able to reduce the medications I was taking for this significantly as well as increase many activities that formerly provoked GERD. That said, it is still very much with me. Dr. Sarno claims in his mind/body book to have developed and resolved an episode of reflux in himself. So apparently it is possible to resolve and perhaps we must be patient. My own progress has been slow, but that is still better than anything the docs have offered with drugs, surgeries, and diet.

Best wishes!

4. brodyr

brodyr New Member

Hi Angelina,

I only followed through with a few sessions and then moved onto other methodologies. If they don't work I will come back to TMS and try again.

I found this article you might find interesting, give it a read. I believe that the problem is emotional, physical, and energetic. So there might be physical interventions needed on top of the emotional/energetic. But I could be wrong, and everyone is different.

Good luck!!

How I Cured Myself from Acid Reflux (GERD)
    I was diagnosed with acid reflux (also called GERD for Gastro Esophageal Reflux Disease) in 1999. My doctors put me on medication, and then stronger medication, then the strongest medication, then increased my dosage to twice a day. Still it got progressively worse over the course of four years. Finally my doctor told me the only option was surgery or I would ruin my voice, and ultimately, my career as an opera singer. Also, I was afraid of Esophageal Cancer, which can happen with the constant acid wash in the esophagus. My reflux was so bad; I could get it from just drinking water! Believe me, my case was not mild. So, I talked to a few singers who had had the surgery, and did some research. Turns out, the surgery is quite severe. Essentially, the doctor twists the upper stomach around the esophagus and stitches it into place. This keeps your stomach sphincter from opening and washing acid into your esophagus. The effect is like having your stomach stapled. Side effects include diarrhea for a year or more, and surgery failure occurs in 85% of patients within 15 years. You should know that when your stomach is made smaller by surgical means, your body could easily suffer from malnutrition. You have to be very, very careful about what you eat. So, I set out to read everything I could and to find out how I could cure myself naturally. And, the results were really surprising! I found the cause, and I cured myself, and since then (beginning of 2002) I have had no problems. I’ll tell you what I found through reading and my own experience. I used these methods to cure myself from all acid reflux symptoms (and keep them away) and then 2 years ago, my doctor cured me from the root cause, which can be different in each case.
    What causes Acid Reflux?
    I found that there are many things that can contribute to acid reflux. One is emotional. I believe every physical problem is caused by an emotional one. Stomach acid is sometimes caused by stress, or more accurately, fear. I suffered from this in great detail… Luckily, I cured my reflux way before I tackled most of these fears, but it is something to think about.
    Many people find that their acid reflux is simply a symptom of a food allergy or some other problem that causes food not to digest properly. I “cured” my symptoms of acid reflux for 9 years but found later the root of the problem was that I cannot digest gluten. Any stomach problem that inhibits digestion can cause acid reflux because of undigested food. We’ll get to that in a moment.
    How did I find out I couldn’t eat gluten? Well, I failed the Celiac Disease test- so I am not a Celiac (Celiacs cannot digest gluten at all). Also my allergy test came back negative for everything. I went to a doctor (an Applied Kenesiologist/Natural Doc) and he diagnosed me quickly, easily, and cheaply. I lost weight I had been unable to lose for years, and am healthier than I have ever been. Acid Reflux is just one problem of many that I am now free of. That’s the thing- acid reflux is a symptom of some other problem. So this paper can tell you ways of controlling acid reflux as a symptom – but you’ll need an alternative doctor to find the cause. You’ll need a doctor who finds causes instead of throwing prescriptions at symptoms, which is unfortunately the American Way. I can find you an A.K. doc in your area if you contact me.
    How fast do you eat? Do you sit and enjoy each bite of food? Or do you scarf down your lunch in front of your computer while working, or while driving somewhere? Some people have completely cured their acid reflux by simply sitting down and concentrating on what they are eating when they are eating it. If you are not doing this, you must begin now.
    It Could Be Something Physical
    First make sure that the acid reflux is not just a side effect of another condition you may have. Hernias, especially, can cause acid reflux until they are corrected. After the hernia is corrected, the patient is usually cured of the reflux. I’ve also had a hiatal hernia corrected by a chiropractor (my A.K. doc), so they don’t always need surgery. Here is a Youtube video on how to correct it yourself, and here is an article about hiatal hernias.
    It could be as simple as a bacteria infection in your stomach called H. Pylori. That is cleared up with antibiotics.
    Another condition could be a side symptom of thyroid disorder. Check the web for more information if any kind of thyroid diseases run in your family or if you have a waking temperature under 97.2 degrees consistently, and fatigue.
    Also, you could have a problem with Candida albicans, an overgrowth of yeast in your stomach caused by antibiotics, birth control pills, too much sugar/yeast containing foods, pregnancy, or anything else that disrupts your body’s natural flora. There is a test you can do at home to check if you have this (seewww.candidasupport.org ) which is free and easy. Symptoms include heavy cravings for sugar, carbs, and/or alcohol; white coating on the tongue; and fatigue. In my own life, I have found that heavy Candida overgrowth can appear as all the same symptoms of a thyroid problem. So, test yourself for this first before you take the expensive tests for thyroid diseases. Untreated, Candida can lead to Fibromyalgia, Leaky Gut Syndrome, and finally Chronic Fatigue Syndrome. If so, see a naturopath for relief from this.
    Enzymes and Colon Cleansing
    What else causes food to be undigested? Overly processed foods are hard to digest (white sugar/flour, unfermented tofu, foods with a lot of chemicals like frozen foods, or foods that don’t agree with you). If you eat a lot of these foods, I would recommend you take a high quality enzyme supplement to help them digest for now. You can get them from your health food store- try to get one that has all the different kinds of enzymes (different enzymes break down different foods). And work towards eating a healthier diet of natural foods – naturally raised organic meat, vegetables, and fruits without chemicals and preservatives will make a world of difference in your life.
    Most importantly, clean out what is stuck in your colon now. This step is what completely eradicated my acid reflux until I found the root cause. Do yourself a favor and do a high quality colon cleanse (I strongly believe everyone should do this). I only recommend Dr. Schultze’s products (1.800.Herb Doc). His colon cleanse is a two part series (Intestinal Formula #1 and #2). This insures that when your body releases its toxins, it doesn’t get held up in a constipated colon and cause nausea, with very little success. His products are amazing, and inexpensive. You can call for a free brochure . I'd recommend that during the colon cleanse, you abstain from alcohol, sugar, and possibly dairy (see how that goes). This will help the cleansing product work it’s best (so you don’t have to repeat it!). When you order these products, make sure you ask for the catalog or anything that has all the steps and instructions. The instructions on the bottles are not complete. I don’t believe in most of the things Dr. Schultze believes in but his products are the highest quality herbs I have found. I'd recommend you order 2 bottles of Intestinal Formula #1, and 2 bottles of the Formula #2 in powder form (the pills are really hard to take, but the powder is tasteless). Also you need to take these in LIVE juice, not pasteurized. So, you'll need to buy/borrow a juicer.
    HCI
    Try taking an enzyme with Hydrochloric Acid (HCI). Many times the problem is actually that you don’t have enough acid in your stomach to break down your food (works like enzymes) especially if you are a vegetarian or vegan. So to test for this, do the following.
    Buy some HCI tablets from the health food store (or betaine hydrochloride) plus enzymes. Take half a tablet before the last mouthful of a main meal. Burning or indigestion means you have plenty of hydrochloric acid. Don't take any more tablets. Use antacid or teaspoonful of bicarbonate to relieve discomfort. If no burning or indigestion, next day take 1 tablet in the same way. If still no burning or indigestion, next day take 2 tablets in the same way. If still no burning or indigestion, then you need more acid. So if you need more acid, then you take 2 betaine hydrochloric acid tablets with main meals and 1 tablet with small meals.
    How Prescription Medications Make GERD Worse
    Here is something very interesting that I learned. Remember how I told you my story and how it got worse each year, so I had to take stronger and stronger medications? Well, it turns out that the prescriptions were making it worse. The prescription works by stopping the hydrochloric acid from being released in your stomach. Maybe this sounds like a good idea if you are trying to stop the acid from splashing in your esophagus, but it’s not. The hydrochloric acid is being released in your stomach for a reason. Your body needs it to break down proteins in your stomach. Without it, you will have even more undigested food rotting in your stomach, and eventually your colon. So, it starts all over again. Also, your GERD could be caused from too little HCI in the first place, as you have already read.
    After I did Dr. Schultze’s colon cleanse, I was able to get off my prescription for the first time in four years. I was able to gradually get off (cutting down my dosage slowly to nothing), and I improved more and more as time went on.
    Solutions For The Interim
    Of course, I did do a few other things to help stop the acid when it’s already there (like maybe now as you are reading this). Get some high qualitypeppermint oil, mix a few drops with water, and drink it, it should neutralize the acid. Drinking organic raw apple cider vinegar- 1 tablespoon with a glass of water- will neutralize the acid in your stomach as well. Also, there is a product at the health food store called Herbal Melange. It’s scary looking but has no taste, and works well to help heal your stomach. You can also buy Aloe Vera juice for ingesting (not the same as topical) from the health food store, but just take a little shot of it a few times a day, not too much! Can have undesirable side effects… which can be counteracted with applesauce.
    Stevia (natural replacement for sugar) helps digestion as well.
    Virgin Coconut Oil is an excellent digestive aid (more on that in the next paragraph), 1 tablespoon for each 50 lbs of your weight (1 tablespoon = 3 teaspoons) a day. Juicing fresh vegetables and fruit can also make such a difference that you will feel immediately. More on that later… If you have reflux away from home and can’t get to anything… you can drink some lemon juice in water.
    Coffee, Alcohol, Juice, and Sodas
    I gave up coffee, alcohol, and all bubbly products until my stomach was healed, and then I had them again. It’s only temporary. However, when I started drinking coffee again, I drank less.
    “Acid” Foods
    I gave up cooked tomato products for a while. Believe me, not easy - especially with my Italian background. Now, I can eat them without problem. Please know that tomatoes, oranges, and other “acid fruits” are actually alkaline (non acid forming) while they are raw. Once cooked, or pasteurized, they are acidic. But, if your stomach is in severe condition, I would suggest laying off these foods (even raw) for a month or two, until your stomach is healed, then you can resume them. But contrary to what my doctors told me, natural raw foods are always alkaline. Cooked foods are acid forming. Remember that. So, fresh squeezed orange juice will be alkaline. Pasteurized orange juice (pasteurization is a heating process, WAY over 118 degrees- which kills all enzymes) is acid forming. Pasteurized dairy products are too. (See www.realmilk.com for more info.) I only drink raw milk, and love the healthy raw cheeses, cream, and yogurts that are coming available more and more. If you are allergic to cow’s milk, you can also find raw goat’s milk, an excellent source of nutrition (and great for asthma sufferers), on this site.
    A note about tomatoes: Grocery store tomatoes are acidic because they are picked before they are ripe, then gassed to make them turn red. But if you try organic vine-ripened tomatoes (when your stomach is a bit better), and eat them raw, you will find that they are alkaline.
    Alternative Healing
    You can also visit a qualified Acupuncturist or Energy Worker. This will help ease the symptoms of acid reflux. Also Rolfing is amazing for singers. It’s a little expensive but amazing body work! www.rolf.org for more info. Applied Kenesiology doctors can really cure you of anything. I had one reverse a hernia I had once and also help me get my thyroid working and lose weight (which was impossible for me for many years). Even Bikram Yoga can heal you from the inside out and is great for digestion.
    Acid Reflux and TMJ
    Have you ever wondered why so many opera singers suffer from Acid Reflux Disease? Well, I believe it is because many singers also have TMJ. There is a link between them. There is an acupressure point in between the jaw joint (way in there), which causes stomach problems, and specifically acid reflux. So please see an alternative healer, massage therapist, or even massage the joint yourself if you have TMJ. When your TMJ acts up, then your stomach will correspond, so please have your TMJ treated. See a Rolfer, an Acupuncturist, a Chiropractor, an Energy Worker, or Massage Therapist to help you with your TMJ problems. TMJ is often a symptom of parasites, by the way.
    Maintenance
    Curing yourself of anything is an amazing thing. But remember that if you go back to your old habits, it could come back. Also, just eating an American diet can cause it come back, so maintenance is important. I recommend that you keep on the lookout for classic symptoms. The most classic symptoms are:
    *A gag reflex in the back of your throat (this is the biggest one. You will find it disappears when your reflux is truly gone).
    * Finding yourself clearing your throat often. Acid reflux can make you feel like there is phlegm on your vocal cords that you just can’t clear off. Believe me, I’ve had allergies in the past. If you can’t clear it off, it’s acid reflux. If you find yourself doing it constantly, it’s acid reflux.
    *Any burping is related to acid. Any.
    *Heartburn
    *Taste of vomit in the back of the throat
    *Hoarseness not related to any virus, illness, or thyroid disorder.
    To keep maintenance (if you haven't found the root cause such as grain/gluten intolerance), you should do a colon cleanse once or twice a year. You will need to do it more often if you eat pasteurized dairy, tofu, refined sugars, and refined flours. If you have the symptoms above, then it’s time to do it again. A quick note on soy: tofu is a highly processed food, and soy in general is not a natural food source for humans. (Fermented is ok.)
    Also, keep up with your enzymes, probiotics, and juicing. These are things to do forever!
    I also recommend you see a natural doctor, a Naturopath. All these things could be a side effect of pancreas/liver/insulin dysfunction, which is not that difficult to fix naturally, with herbs.
    Conclusion
    I have written this based on my own experience and research. I am not a doctor. Although I found my doctors to be misinformed on the subject of GERD, I am not claiming to have any medical background. I have written this because I hope to help anyone avoid what I went through. There was a time when I was afraid that my career would be over if I did not get my acid reflux under control. I am glad to report that I have no problems at all now, and my doctor has told me there is no evidence at all of reflux when he looks at my vocal cords.
    Quick Reference
    Avoid until you are better: Pasteurized foods (juices and dairy), cooked tomatoes, coffee, alcohol, sodas, chocolate, late night eating.
    Take: enzymes with HCI (take the test in the HCI paragraph), probiotics, fresh juiced juices, Dr. Schultze’s colon cleanse.
    Relief for burning from now until it is healed: peppermint oil, lemon juice in your water, organic raw apple cider vinegar.
    See a natural doctor if you can: Applied Kenesiologists – my first choice is a Ulan School doctor… or a nautropath, an acupuncturist, etc. There are probably more things at play inside your body than you realize. More info at top of page.
    Try giving up grains & gluten for a month to see if it helps. If that is not it, try dairy. Try nightshades... try... anything it could be you are reacting to.
    If you suspect Acid Reflux, I recommend you read these books: Acid Reflux Relief - Acid Reflux Natural Remedies and Wheat Belly.
    References
    The Healing Miracles of Coconut Oil by Bruce Fife
    Eat Fat look Thin by Bruce Fife
    The Complete Idiot’s Guide to Fasting by Eve Adamson and Linda Horning, R.D.
    Dr. Richard Schultze (1.800.HerbDoc)
    www.mercola.com
    www.thedoctorwithin.com
    http://rheumatic.org/hcl.htm
    Attachments area
    Preview YouTube video How to Identify and Correct a Hiatal Hernia: Part 1
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    How to Identify and Correct a Hiatal Hernia: Part 1
    [​IMG]

5. fridaynotes

fridaynotes Well known member

that hiatal hernia self-help video was really quite helpful! thank you.
    i am still convinced that acid reflux is a TMS equivalent because if the Lower Esophogeal Sphincter is operated from the central nervous system and is an automatic function, then it must be regulated by the unconscious mind, which would be causing its malfunction.

6. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi, Brodyr. I got a hiatal hernia several years ago while restraining my big dog. I've been living with it. I'm 86 and it doesn't bother me.
    Hernias run in my family. My father and bother both had them.

I'll take look at that Youtube video. I often find helpful videos there.

The advice on acid reflux is excellent. Keep practicing TMS techniques and believing in it. I think most of our digestive problems come from our emotions.

Keep practicing deep breathing, stay off the computer as much as you can, turn off the television, and find ways to laugh.

7. TeriL

TeriL New Member

I just feel for me that I need to give up constantly monitoring what I eat, taking all the supplements, seeing different types of doctors and remedies. I have spent thousands trying to figure out what's going on with me. I'm so tired of it all.I just don't want to be in that TMS bondage.The research on the internet can really suck you in. I'm just wondering if all of that has to be given up just like exercises that aid to help back pain have to be given up to convince your brain there is nothing wrong with you. I had to do that with the back pain I had. I also threw away my leg lifts and I walked through the pain and eventually it gave up and now I have no back pain but it moved to my digestive tract I believe.

Lotus and TrustIt like this.